Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crenault
Reel Rookie

Roku Express Error 014.40 on initial set up

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am getting a consistent error code 014.40 on initial set up. I have followed all the steps on the support page and even updated my wifi password to be sure I am using the correct password. I have shut down the router and Roku device multiple times and still getting this error. The wifi password is correct but this error is indicating that the problem is with the password. This is the initial set up so I am frozen at this step. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Setup on screen stops after accepting wifi internet connection ?

Jump to solution

@RG-inOttawa 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on the device and try setting up the device again?

For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot to see if you can set up your device that way.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Error 014.40 on initial set up

Jump to solution

@crenault 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RG-inOttawa
Reel Rookie

Setup on screen stops after accepting wifi internet connection ?

Jump to solution

I have the Roku express. Wiring all set. Roku asks for my wifi connection on TV. I enter it along with my pw. A box appears --- at the top.      it says ! checking ... 

below Next line it says  -  Wireless connection  ( green check arrow looks good right)

below Next line it says   -  Internet connection ( green check arrow again so it looks good right)

BUT ,, then that is where it ends ?? Like frozen on screen. It does not begin the automatic set-up. It does nothing and the remote has no effect.   Stuck ?  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@RG-inOttawa 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on the device and try setting up the device again?

For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot to see if you can set up your device that way.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
RG-inOttawa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That Purple box with the Green check marks for

Wireless connection

Internet connection

. Cancel

Frozen there in the middle of my TV. Unhooked wifi and power cables from Roku box for 15 minutes. Start again but get to this same point. And i get no response at all from the Home key or any other keys on the remote.  So i cannot do a Reset ?  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

On the express there's a pinhole, with express powered on, use pen or pin and stick it into the pinhole for at least 30 seconds to do a factory reset.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
OARoushdy
Reel Rookie

Brand New Roku Express hanged in loop of dancing Roku logo after upgrade in setup

Jump to solution

Just out of the box 2019 Roku expressdid all correctly and connected to the Network upgraded the software as requested but after reboot stayed hanged in a loop of dancing Roku logo nothing else happens. Tried all kind of reboots or resets. Need assistance from anyone to get this working or theres no hope?! This is literally right after the box didn't get to use it at all??!!!.

0 Kudos
RG-inOttawa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Found reset button thanks. So started over with ROKU flashing on TV. Entered English and then my internet connection again. Got to the same point with green check marks for Wireless connection and Internet connection. But again thats where it stops.

It's a dud, Happy i bought it from Best Buy and not Amazon so hopefully i can just return it to the store.  

0 Kudos
DOUGTAZ

Express generates 014/40 error code

Jump to solution

I just bought my Roku Express, as in January 1, 2020.  I opened the box, attached to my TV, connected to my wireless network...and then the device updated.

After the update, the device, is still looking for me to complete the initial setup (step 1: language,  step 2: wireless).  So I am stuck in a loop where I can't get past the setup after it auto updates, all because it errors out connecting to my wireless network.

Of course I rebooted (many times) and it generates a 014.40 error code. 

Please help me fix.  C'mon Roku...let's get a fix for this