Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motters79

Roku Express Connects to Huawei Mifi Router but no internet since changing network providers

Hello,

I have a Roku Expres 3930EU which has worked fine for years via my Huawei R216 mobile wifi router. I recently switched network provider from VirginMobile to EE and since putting the new Sim into the router my Roku cannot connect to the internet. It connects to the router and has excellent wifi strength but no internet. I get error 009. The weird thing is that other devices (phone/laptop) connect and get excellent internet (upto 20mbps). It gets weirder... if I take the SIM out of the router and put it into my phone and turn on hotspot, then the Roku will connect and also get excellent internet. Ive tried putting my old Virgin Mobile SIM(currently stil active) back in the router and the Roku connect to the internet just fine as before, allbeit with a poor internet connection (hence why the network change).

I have tried rebooting all devices and changing wifi chanels all to no avail. I tried my EE sim in a friends Teltonika router and roku connected and got internet no problem. It seems its the particular combination of the EE SIM, and the Huawei router that the Roku doesn't like. I even tried my friend's roku (same model) with my router using the EE Sim and had exactly the same problem, so I know its not my specific device , but rather a problem with that model.

The ruku is 1 metre away from the router.

Ive spoken to EE and there are no problems that end. Confirmed by the fact that other devices get unrestricted internet access. 

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Connects to Mifi rounter but no internet since changing network providers

Hello @Motters79

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku® streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your hotspot is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express Connects to Huawei Mifi Router but no internet since changing network providers

@Motters79 

Check under the mobile router settings and verify that IPv4 is enabled.  Roku devices cannot currently use IPv6 so may be running into issue how the network SIM card is interacting with your router.  At minimum, enable IPv4/IPv6.  If doesn't work, try enabling IPv4 only.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos