Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcurtis96
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 3930X Streaming Quality Issues

I have recently been having issues with the streaming quality of apps on my Roku Express 3930X. When I am playing content, the screen often becomes blurry and/or a loading bar pops up. I am frequently asked to check my internet connection, but my internet works fine when I use other devices. My router is only 10 feet from my Roku with nothing blocking it from the Roku. I've tried restarting my router and my Roku multiple times but this did not seem to help, and my Roku is fully updated.

Any more suggestions for how to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express 3930X Streaming Quality Issues

How fast is your Internet? Run a check connection on your Roku it’s under settings/network. What does it show for a speed test? Also how old is your Roku Express. The base model Roku Express only works on 2.4 GHz. Seems to me you’re losing your Internet connection or your Internet connection is too slow.. 

Here are the settings for 2.4ghz to try (probably won't help in your situation, but worth a shot)

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n or b/g/n(Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Channels 12 and 13 are disabled through Roku Software, so manually setting a Channel will help mitigate issues caused by Auto Setting.

0 Kudos
dcurtis96
Reel Rookie

I bought my Roku in December 2019. The network band on my Internet is 5 GHz but it has always been this way, my Roku just started having these issues the last month or so.

If I run a Check Connection I get different results. Sometimes it's fine, but other times I get the message that Internet Download speed is poor (Error 018).

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

So your Roku Express is like 3 years old. I sent you instructions for your modem. You can try those. A new Roku is $30-40. Just buy a new one and be done with it. Your model can only do 2.4 GHz. Not sure how you said it connects to 5.0.  The Roku you own is a budget model. Buy a Roku that supports dual band 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@dcurtis96
(The network band on my Internet is 5 GHz but it has always been this way....)

The Roku Express 3930 is a single/mono band device that can only see and use your 2.4ghz band.  It does not have the capability to connect your 5ghz.

Login to your router and verify the settings posted above are configured properly on your 2.4ghz band.  You can also changing the Wireless channels to see if you get better results on one channel over another. (ie. try toggling between 1, 6, and 11 preferably).

----

(If I run a Check Connection I get different results. Sometimes it's fine, but other times I get the message that Internet Download speed is poor (Error 018).

If you normally have good speeds and receive the Error 018 message (or any indicator or Poor), you can usually just restart both your router and Roku device as an initial troubleshooting step.  This will take care of most basic streaming issues (audio out of sync, blurry video playback etc.)

Additionally, verify you are using the power adapter plugged into wall and not the power port of your TV. (Insufficient power issues can produce some video issues.).  If plugged into the wall, can try using a cell-phone charging USB cube/adapter to see if your adapter may be culprit.

----

First thing to do if you have ISP company Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, or AT&T, is to verify within your 2.4ghz settings that your Wireless Network Mode is set to b/g/n. (this will rule out one known issue as a contributor).  Then verify/adjust the settings that can influence interference and congestion -- Channel Width/Bandwidth is 20mhz, and again, toggling between channels 1, 6, and 11.  If no better, try selecting Auto for wireless channel as last resort.

On the Video Settings side, you are kind of limited.  You can try the following...

1. Try using a different display type. (Settings...Display Type..toggle between 720 and 1080)

2. Adjust Display Refresh Rate (Settings..System..Advanced System..Advanced Display...Auto-Adjust Display Refresh rate...toggle between On and Off).  Default is On.

------

Additionally, you cannot rule out that there may be a physical problem with the internet connection that may be affecting your speed results. (ISP tech can test the physical connections for you, and can be anything from a cabling issue to a router hardware issue).

------

Normally, a restart of both router and Roku should be first step though.  Post back with an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos