Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
otisg1
Channel Surfer

Roku Express 3700X Unable to connect to WIFI

Roku Express 3700X will not connect to Quantum Fiber (Century Link) modem C5500XK with error 014.30. Roku Express 4K+ connects just fine. Other posts have suggested being sure modem is set to b/g/n, but there does not appear to be a setting for this.

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
DavidinKy

Re: Roku Express 3700X Unable to connect to WIFI

Same issue here. It finds the network, but won’t connect to it. One odd thing is that roku app showed it online and I could use it as a remote, but not launch/connect to apps. I did something or another and now that doesn’t even work. I’m just going to toss it. Guess they’re doing to that version like Microsoft did to Windows XP. Roku Express (3700 series)  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@otisg1 and @DavidinKy 

For the CenturyLink router (CL), you may have a "Radio Setup" section in the router settings.

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/wireless-setup.html

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/wireless-setup/change-wifi-channel...

----

With CenturyLink routers, you may have to actually do the opposite of the advice for the cable ISP providers.  Try toggling both between using b/g/n and just using g/n.  (Some CL routers actually need to have the legacy b mode disabled for Roku devices to connect).

Additionally, you may find that using special characters in your password may also be contributing to issue.  Try using a password with no special characters, or create an open-network (no password) for troubleshooting.  If you can connect without a password in place , then you know this is the culprit.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

otisg1
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately, the Century Links links do not apply to this modem/router C5500XK. There are not any choices in the setup for this modem to modify the radio settings.

The C5500XK requires a special character in the password, so there is no option to change that. Also, my Roku Express 4K+ connects with no problem using the same password.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@otisg1 

The links posted are the general procedures for logging into any CL router.  Your specific router docs are here and show same login/config procedure. https://manuals.plus/quantum-fiber/c5500xk-modem-manual.

The actual admin interfaces may be different depending on router firmware but should be similar enough in nature to locate the needed settings.

As far as I know, the CL router does not require a special character requirement.  There is a difference between whether using 64 or 128 encryption if offered as an option to you under the password menu of the Settings, but that pertains to the number of characters requirements and the allowable characters.

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/wireless/change-wifi-password.html

As far as one Roku device connecting to the network and not another, not at all uncommon to experience issues related to one device having trouble connecting to a router or network while experiencing no issue with another. (even among the same model numbers, which is not your case here.)

It may be easier for you to share the above info posted with your ISP provider and have them make the recommended changes for you.  It is easier to make changes to the router if you can run an ethernet cable between the laptop and the router while accesing the router portal.  The CL app is supposed to give you similar access but sometimes the app may have more limited features regarding changes.

As long as you have the CL router setup in the default mode as given to you by CL, you should be able to login using the 192.168.0.1 adddress and make the above changes.  If you or someone else has placed the modem into transparent bridge mode, then you may need to factory reset the modem (sometimes the ONT will not be recognized and cause issues with some devices - only because an ISP can no longer see the connection, or so they claim.). 

The Roku Express 4k/4k+ (3940/3941) is dual band device (can see and use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands).  The Express 3700 is only 2.4ghz capable.  Highly likely your Express 4k+ is currently connected to the 5ghz and experiencing no issues.  Your 2.4ghz is going to need to be configured if you want to use your Express 3700.  Otherwise, purchase another 3940/3941 device and you should be back in business without further configuration to your network.

You can verify what band your Express 4k+ is connected to by going to Settings/Network/About in your Roku device.  If you see a wireless channel of 1-11, you are using the 2.4ghz and.  If you see higher numbers 36-48, or 149-165, you are connected to the 5ghz band.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

otisg1
Channel Surfer

The Century Link doc says nothing about configuring any advanced settings. I have connected to the C5500XK several times from my desktop which is connected via Ethernet and looked through all the possible settings and there is nothing related to 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz. All that being said, there are 2 other devices - a Canon printer and MyQ Garage door controller - that are 2.4 ghz only and have connected and function just fine. That would seem to tell me that 2.4 ghz is enabled.  

I am a little fuzzy right now on the special character requirement - it may have just been required by the Century Link Web account and the app that is used to configure/manage the modem/router/WIFI net. Perhaps the password of the actual WIFI network could be different, but I made them all the same. Not sure if the app would work if they were different. However, there does not seem to be any problem with any other device connecting to WIFI with the special characters, so it would seem that the modem/router is OK with them. I may have to end up scrapping that 3700. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@otisg1 @DavidinKy

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing? Can you please provide the device serial number/device ID on the Roku device? Were you previously experiencing this issue or did this issue just start to occur? What are the steps to reproduce the issue and what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue.

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
otisg1
Channel Surfer

ROKU 3700X  SN- YU00HJ259646    SW- 11.5.0 Bld 4225-28   DID- 7G271H259656

Trying to connect to WIFI on a new Quantum Fiber (Century Link) modem/router/pod C5500XK. Receive error 014.30.  This ROKU was previously connected to an ASUS RT-AC66U B1 router without problems.

Others have suggested that 2.4ghz might not be turned on, but there are 2 other devices that are 2.4ghz and have connected successfully.

Another suggestion was that the new router might have a problem accepting a password that contains special characters (it contains ##),  but all the other devices are using the same password successfully.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@otisg1

Thanks for the follow up.

Can you please provide more information about the mesh nodes you are using for your wireless network? What is the brand and model of the devices so we can better understand the issue?

With more detailed information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
otisg1
Channel Surfer

Plume 4Y84200C47 FM    Model: B1A

0 Kudos