Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickD
Reel Rookie

Roku Antenna 2 is showing 0 signal

My Roku express suddenly lost my network.  Going into the secret menu, I can see that Antenna 2 has 0 signal strength. Antenna 1 isn't much better.  Placing the unit next to the router still shows Ant 2 with 0 signal strength  and Ant 1 at 43.    Unit is out of warranty.  

Doesn't seem right to have to throw this out after just over a year of min use.  Definitely won't be buying another one of these cheaply made devices.  

Any way to fix this thing before it ends up in the trash?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Antenna 2 is showing 0 signal

Hi @NickD

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

For clarification, are you unable to connect to your wifi network? If so, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
NickD
Reel Rookie

This device had been working fine for a year and now started having problems. I can connect to my router, but the signal strength is so low that media doesn't work very well.   And sometimes not at all.  It loses connection to wifi very often.  Sometimes squeezing the device gets me connected again.  Cant get any signal on Antenna 2 even when moved right next to the router.  

I brought a 4k Roku device to the same location as the Express and its working flawlessly.  Great signal strength and instant streaming with no buffering.  

So I'm 100 % certain that this is a hardware problem with the Express.  My question is if there is anything I can try to get it working again.  Maybe open it up and check for loose connections, cold solder joints, etc... Looks like it's going to be trashed anyway so willing to try anything. 

Thanks for your response. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@NickD 

The Roku Express is a single/mono band device (2.4ghz band only), so it only has one wireless antenna. This is why only ANT 1 strength is showing.

The newer Roku Express 4k/4k+ devices are dual band (2.4ghz and 5ghz), and has two wireless antennas so ANT1 and ANT2 strengths.

Sometimes can get the SNR to increase a bit by changing the wireless channel in your router on the 2.4ghz band or by moving the router or device while in that screen.  You can try to reduce noise by lowering the bandwidth/channel width as well under the 2.4ghz settings (try 20mhz).  

Generally speaking, as long as you are in the mid 20's (25 or so) for strength and signal is green, that is acceptable strength.  Of course, higher the better.  The SNR/strength is basically going to be the difference between your noise and RSSI levels. (SNR= RSSI - noise).  Shooting for mid -50's for RSSI and closer to -120 for noise. (normally mid 80's for noise).

Additionally, if you have Xfinity/Comcast or Cox, you should verify that your 2.4ghz Mode setting reflects b/g/n as opposed to g/n in your router's Wireless Settings if a 2.4ghz device no longer connects to network. 

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
NickD
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the info bout the antenna on a Roku Express.  It makes sense now as to why antenna 2 wasn't showing any signal even when moved next to the router.

BTW, I have a very good Asus gaming router AC3100 RT-AC88U with a second Asus router attached via ethernet to create an access point. The router has the channel set to automatic so that it can pick the least saturated channel in my area.  Right now it's set to Channel 1.  This is just to say that I have very strong WiFi throughut the house, so we can rule out any signal issues.  I really don't want to play with the WiFi bandwidth as this Express is the only device I am having an issue with.  

This still doesn't explain why the Roku Express suddenly went to a signal strenght of 4 with Antenna 1 at 9 with RSSI at -88dBm and noise at -92dBm SNR 4dB.  The 4k Roku was able to get both Antennas around 45 at the same location with RSSI: -60 dBm noise: -68 dBm SNR 14 dB.  So there is something definately wrong with this Roku Express.  

Good thing it's not very expensive, so I don't mind tossing it out.  But I'm not going to do that every year.  Or just forget about these cheap devices altogether.  

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@NickD 

Did the Express used to show you a better signal before attaching second router?  

If you disconnect the second router (and turn power completely off so as to not cause conflicts), and connect Express to first router with optimized settings and you see your signal strength increase, then may give you a heads up that there is a misconfiguration with second router causing interference with signal strength.

I would then connect the Express 4k/4k+ to main router and see performance levels.

With only router in play, if still seeing poor signal strength with Express, but good signal strength with Express 4k, then likely conclusion is that the Express has an internal failing. (could be the NIC or the antenna).

It is just too difficult to diagnose signals, noise, and interference if everything is left connected with multiple devices and multiple settings when narrowing down a network vs. device issue.  Need to either work backwards taking things offline and out of equation, or work forward and add one device and put things online one at a time.

If the result continues to be a signal strength of 4db, then yes, you most likely have failing/failed device.

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos