Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rattebery
Reel Rookie

Roku 4K stick 3820X drops internet every 3 to 5 minutes

I just purchased the 4K stick Model 3820X.  I've gone through the setup and verified the updates were completed.  Software Version is 11.00.4193.

Every 3 to 5 minutes the internet connection drops and I also lose connection to the remote.  After about a minute or so it reconnects.  Depending on the channel in use it may just show the spinning circle and others will show a message at the bottom that the internet connection was lost.  The Roku is connected to my 5GHz WiFi.  I have a Chromecast with Google TV connected to the same TV also connected to 5GHZ and it does not drop connection.

I've rebooted
I've Pulled power then reconnected
I've tried 2.4 GHZ and have the same issue
The only thing I have not tried is a factory reset

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4K stick 3820X drops internet every 3 to 5 minutes

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku.

The ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably. It may appear to start up okay, but when it runs into something that requires more power than the tv's USB port can provide, something's got to give.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

The Roku Streaming Stick 3820 4K is a great device. I have 2 of them. It comes with a long range WiFi receiver. The Stick must also be plugged into the wall. You will see a long rectangle adapter in the power cable. That is the WiFI extender. How far is the modem/router from your Roku Stick? How fast is your internet? Go to Settings/ Network/Check connection. Press ok on check connection. This will allow your Roku to run a speed test. After it is completed you will see a result. Something like (good 150 Mbps). Also does this happen on all channels? The remote also uses that long range receiver to work. 

0 Kudos
rattebery
Reel Rookie

I was using the device with the provided power supply

0 Kudos
rattebery
Reel Rookie

I decided to return the device as it's more problematic than useful.  I don't have any issues with the Chromecast with Google TV on the same TV, I thought Roku would be a good change but unfortunately it wasn't.

0 Kudos
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

@rattebery  Did you even try to diagnose it? I have owned several Roku Sticks. Still own an older 3810 with zero issues. Unless there was something wrong with the long range receiver. You did not mention which channels it occurred on or anything else

0 Kudos
rattebery
Reel Rookie

Did you read the entire post?  I stated that depending on the channel it may show a spinning wheel or it may show Internet connection lost.  Yes I did spend time on diagnostics but I am also not going to waist my time. 

Tderuiter

We have two sticks both ordered from Amazon. One of them is within 10 feet of the router and it cuts every 5 to 10 minutes or so with a No Connection error. During this, the remote is unresponsive to the Roku but will continue to operate sound or mute on the TV. The only way to resolve is to get up and reboot the Roku by pushing the button on the stick or cut the power.

We have tried a hard reboot, reboot of router, plugging into the wall versus TV USB, and resetting WiFi credentials.

The error occurs regardless of app, although HBO/Max's error was slightly different and gave us an error code 13240771-5cae-4512-950d-c91ba2312232.

Not sure what to do here other than return the thing as it is not helpful. Curious why our other one which is a full floor away from the router and plugged into TV USB (granted on a 10 year old Vizio) works largely fine. WiFi is Xfinity and we pay for 1.2Gigabit (tho it rarely gets that high). We have many other devices in our smart home that stay connected flawlessly while Roku stumbles and locks up. Confusing.

Edit 1

One post said finding the Issue ID. On reboot by hitting the button on the stick it gives Issue ID N7-446-517

Edit 2

We also tried resetting Internet network settings, changing the power settings to disable the 20 minute inactivity shut down. None of this has resolved the problem. Continues to lose connection at about 5 to 10 minutes of viewing. This thing is trash worthy. Please advise.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Tderuiter, have you tried swapping the two sticks?  Sometimes the TV itself produces enough noise to compromise the Wi-Fi connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos