Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 2 won't connect to internet I have tried resetting router and ping disable

Even 7 years old is out of date in today’s technology world. Considering a brand new stick is only $40. Why mess around. Throw it out and buy a new one. Things nowadays aren’t meant to last. People buy new phones at $1200 ea every 2 years 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 2 won't connect to internet I have tried resetting router and ping disable

@AeroSpaceTech 

If you aren't interested in troubleshooting an older device that should still work, then don't. We got this.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

se6601kf
Reel Rookie

OK the roku 2 in question was an older XD roku 2. I got curious and took it to work and logged onto the wifi there and it works fine. I also got another roku Model 3930x Still the same issue at home, it doesn't connect either. which leads me to believe there is a router issue.

It is a tplink tl-wr841n.

Perhaps something set up wrong but I have very little to no clue on those things

0 Kudos
atc98092

Thanks for the info. The 2 XD (model 3050) is now almost 11 years old, and Roku no longer supports it with OS updates. I have the similar 2 XS, and it's been in a drawer for several years, as it simply doesn't work with many of the latest channels, and performs horribly with some older channels (particularly YouTube). The 3930 is the Roku Express, which doesn't impress me much. It only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi, and is lacking power and storage space compared to the newest models. But It was probably cheap, so let's work with it.

How do you get your Internet? Is it a cable company (Spectrum or Comcast), or some other method? The cable companies have recently changed settings in customer modems/routers that have an adverse impact with Roku devices. Be aware that your ISP might not allow you to make these changes yourself, so you may need to ask their technical support for help.

I realize I'm getting very technical. Contact your ISP for help if you get lost here. 🙂

First is the mode on the 2.4 GHz radio. There are several types of settings available here. In most cases they have set the mode to G/N only. For unknown reasons, that sometimes will not allow a Roku to connect. If the mode is changed to B/G/N, then the Roku connects fine. The next is channel width. On 2.4 GHz, Roku devices work best with the width set to 20 MHz. The last issue might be interference. On 2.4 GHz, there's 11 available channels, but in reality you must use one of the end channels, or the middle one. That would be channel 1, 6 or 11. Try a different channel if you're getting interference.

For the 5 GHz radio, there's less to worry about. Your 2 XD supports 5 GHz, but your new Express does not. On 5 GHz, the channel must be below 49 (48 or lower) or higher than 148 (149 or higher). Don't use anything between 49 and 148, as your Roku won't even see it.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

As I stated but was shot down by DB the Roku 2 is no longer supported. @atc98092  thanks for the clarification 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@AeroSpaceTech 

The Roku 2 is supported. The Roku 2 XS is not. 

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  please read atc post

0 Kudos
atc98092

@AeroSpaceTech wrote:

@DBDukes  please read atc post

He doesn't have to, because he uses the same source as I do. The Roku 2 is still supported, both versions. The Roku 2 XS, 2 XD and 2 HD are not supported any longer. That said, there are also some channels that are not supported on any version of a Roku 2.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
se6601kf
Reel Rookie

TP link was set to 2.4 and B/G/N already.

Channel was auto but I tried manually switching to all channels individually. and 20Mhz.

Still no go.

I have wireless internet with a little dish shaped antenna that gets its signal from the tallest hill in town

0 Kudos

OK the roku 2 in question was an older XD roku 2. I got curious and took it to work and logged onto the wifi there and it works fine. I also got another roku Model 3930x Still the same issue at home, it doesn't connect either. which leads me to believe there is a router issue.

It is a tplink tl-wr841n.

Perhaps something set up wrong but I have very little to no clue on those things

0 Kudos