Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rezn8d
Reel Rookie

Re: Statically assign IP to Roku sticks

NetGear XR500 with DumaOS.

Set Roku to static IP in DHCP (address reserved).

Roku ignores this and assigns itself to 192.168.1.2 (not 192.168.1.133).

In device map and DHCP, Roku Ultra is showing "offline" even though it is online and operating (playing YouTube, etc).

If I turn my WiFi on, Roku tries to jump on WiFi even though it's connected to Cat6 and my entire house is wired (and I prefer it that way).This is beyond ignorant. THERE IS NO WAY TO GET THIS POS TO BEHAVE PROPERLY.

1. Add an options menu to advanced setup > Static IP > LAN or WIFI.
  2. Add an option to PERMANENTLY disable WiFi.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@rezn8d, there is something strange going on with your Ultra.  It shouldn't be trying to "jump on Wi-Fi" unless you didn't choose a wired connection under the network settings.  Note that the Ultra has two MAC addresses so if it's connecting via Wi-Fi it's not going to respect your DHCP reservation for the wired MAC.  Also, the remote uses Wi-Fi direct so unless you want to use an IR remote the Wi-Fi radio will always be utilized.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rezn8d
Reel Rookie

From XR500 router log: [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:aa, Thursday, April 07, 2022 09:43:52

:aa = MAC address of WiFi

:ab = MAC address of LAN

:ab ignores static IP address reservation from the XR500 and assigns its own IP as a default .2 and despite streaming YouTube does not show "online" in the connected device map.

My XR500 has a WiFi on/off button on the top of it. 95% of the day, the WiFi is off because I am sensitive to wireless signals (and they interrupt sleep and affect health in many ways, but I digress).

If the WiFi is turned on for even five minutes, the Roku Ultra attempts to connect to it even though I have:

A) selected Wired Connection

B) Advanced Settings > Reset Network Connection

C) Banned the Roku Ultra MAC address for the WiFi on it.

EXTREMELY SHADY INDEED.

0 Kudos
dannysauer
Reel Rookie

I wonder if there's a way to make a new topic for "I don't know how to set up my DHCP server" 🤔

0 Kudos

I personally have 4 DHCP Servers that do not conflict with each other, I disabled DHCP on any device that would have a DHCP server, and use Kerio Control for DHCP inside VMware Virtual Machines on a spare system. I have 4 DHCP Servers, because I like to assign the same IP to each device over and over (PSEUDO-STATIC) however like the previous poster stated there is more than one Media Access Control address on the ROKU. Some devices mainly my Notebook Computers Have 4 network interfaces, and some of them let me spoof the MAC Addresses but when it comes to some USB devices, Most Wi-Fi Adapters, and Blutooth you can't spoof it in the device manager as there is no option and if you were to modify the device driver it depends on the firmware of the adapter if it will allow the Media Access Control Address Spoofing. So having the 4 DHCP Servers will allow me to assign based on the Media Access Control Address like the previous posters are instructing on your router or gateway modem. Most DHCP Servers will not allow you to reserve the same IP to more than one Media Access Control Address hence the 4 servers. I just put one Media Access Control Address on one server and the other in another don't have to worry about which interface gets the IP

0 Kudos