Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tamalesyatole
Reel Rookie

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

• Restart your router (yeah, I know everything else connects okay, try it anyway).
  • When router comes back up, restart your Roku, Settings > System > Restart system
  • When Roku comes back up, Settings > Network > Set up connection

WTF it worked for me!?!1! Didn't even had to re-setup the connection.

TV remembered previous SSID (Changed router recently so I forgot whether I had connected this TV to it) and Android Mirroring also worked, so a busted WiFi couldn't be the reason, I thought.

Everything else worked with the WiFi so I thought it wasn't either.

mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Anon808 wrote:
@mmortal03 wrote:

@ClayClai, did you get yours to work? Not sure what router firmware you're using, but I'm using OpenWRT, and the solution was to uncheck the "allow legacy 802.11b rates" setting, then Save, and Save and Apply.

The setting is under:
Network->Wireless
Click the Edit button associated with the 2.4GHz radio
Go to Advanced Settings tab
uncheck "allow legacy 802.11b rates"
Save, then Save and Apply. Possibly reboot the router after this.

Thanks! This was the only solution that worked for me.

OpenWRT Router (wrt32x) & Roku Express

Unchecked "allow legacy 802.11b rates", saved, saved and applied, and a reboot. Good to go!

This one should also be marked as a solution, so other people will find it.

0 Kudos
EHIM7

Jump to solution

I am glad I read through all suggestions. All other devices were connected via wifi except Roku. I shout down and restarted WIFI and that did the trick. So, before you do a factory reset shut everything down. Thank you community. 

anode505
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Which leads us to the problem is still in the Roku.  If all other devices have no problem with the re-association with WPA, the glitch is in Roku's implantation of WPA.  Your WPA connection is re-associated often; in the background; its part of the spec.  It is also the way to get the 4-way handshake passively to crack the WiFi password hash.  (Or you can be a d-bag and force the deauths and reconnects.)

Wait.  I take that back.  Problem is probably in Roku's DHCP client.  I had this issue but I'm wired.  So its not a WiFi prob but somewhere in the TCP stack.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The WiFi at my daughter's home was constantly dropping their 5 GHz connections. It didn't seem to be a problem with 2.4 GHz, but I checked both of their access points and found that 5 GHz had the channel width set at 80 MHz, which not all devices are happy with. I changed it to 40 MHz and there's been no issue since. I also noticed their 2.4 GHz was set at 20/40 MHz, and changing it to just 20 MHz has also cleared many of the connection issues they were having. They have two Roku players on the network (Stick 3600 and Roku 4) and both are working well with these settings.

Also, make sure the radios are broadcasting on supported channels. Roku devices only support the channels that are legal in North America, so for 2.4 GHz the channel must be between 1 and 11, and 5 GHz must be below 49 or above 148. Most routers/access points assign the channel automatically, which also means it could change without your knowledge. If it changes overnight to an unsupported channel, your Roku will no longer connect.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
justkaty

Jump to solution

It is asking for a code and I have no idea what to enter.  Any clues?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@justkaty

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Can you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing so we can better understand the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Annawarden

Jump to solution

Mines has done the exact same I have had the premiere for just under a year now and it worked perfect to begin with and now all of a sudden it’s saying the signal is poor even though it’s not moved from the spot and everything else that’s connected to the wifi is working as usual. I’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps and even factory reset it just won’t work at all now 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Annawarden

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Aceman

Jump to solution

This happened to me as well on 2 separate TVs. Internet worked fine on everything else. As I am not a tech guy, I will give you the layman’s solution. I have Fios. I logged into the site on my laptop. Click on “My Verizon”, then “router management”, then “advanced settings”.  The first section under advanced settings is “WiFi settings” and under that heading is “DFS Channels”.  Click on Manage and click “Disable”.  
That’s it!  I have no idea what it does, but everything works now, so I don’t really care. Good luck!

0 Kudos