Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

@atc98092

I don't mean that Roku should attempt to test every model, but they could at least be spot checking the most common routers rented out by the most common ISPs -- they'd catch some of these situations that way. Keep in mind that we perpetually hear of situations where all devices on a person's network other than that person's Roku device(s) will have no trouble connecting. I'm not saying Roku software admins/engineers are doing it maliciously, but there's got to be something in their testing and compatibility practices that could be improved.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@mmortal03 wrote:

, but there's got to be something in their testing and compatibility practices that could be improved.

No disagreement there. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Dennise67

Jump to solution

@Adie1 wrote:

I can only repeat what worked for me, which was changing the wi-fi channel. I'd been having intermittent Roku problems for ages, then changed the channel on another user's advice, and it's been fine ever since. (It's an easy fix to Google if you're a dunce like me!) Good luck!

@Adie1

What do u mean change WiFi channel?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Dennise67, the Wi-Fi channel is a setting in your router.  Most router's come with the channel set to "Auto" which no doubt causes a large percentage of the problems seen here.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
anode505
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

If both would follow the standards there would be no issue.  Thinking you know better never works out.  Kinda like rolling your own crypto.

(Of course they both say they do, but.......)

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@anode505 part of the issue is that Roku must design their WiFi to meet standards that differ across the globe. Channels that are legal in the US are not in other countries, and vice versa. And I have access points that even though they are sold here in the US have channels that are not permissible here, so I had to take them off of Auto and manually assign the channel. So Roku simply makes their devices not function on a large number of channels, some in the 2.4 GHz band and others in 5 GHz. It's not the most elegant solution, but it keeps them legal throughout the world. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Adie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

WiFi channels are the medium by which wireless networks send & receive data. The default channel selected by your router on set-up might not be the optimal one for your neighbourhood, e.g. if lots of others are using the same channel (channels 1, 6 & 11 tend to work best.) Just Google “change WiFi channel” and it’s an quick easy job, though I obviously can’t guarantee it will fix your Roku problem  (but it worked for me!)

0 Kudos
Walsh93

Jump to solution

Okay so it took me to the factory reset but it's asking for a code and I thought it would be my code that I made but it failed. What code do I need?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

think that unless you've set a PIN in your account, it's simply looking for four zeros to approve a factory reset. I've only used it once, and it was a long time ago, so going by memory here.

Dan

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

The last time I looked at a factory reset it displayed the code it wants you to enter.  It's just a "are you really sure?" type of thing.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos