Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
5150House

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

Have attempted all steps x3, ROKU Smart TV still will not connect. Worked fine last night and all other devices working without issue

0 Kudos
Adie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Me too! I have the same problem.

Everything was working fine last night, but this morning my Roku Express can't "see" my wi-fi network, though annoyingly it can see all my neighbours' networks! I've tried restarting the router and the Roku box several times with no apparent effect. I've made no changes myself to my PC or network. All help appreciated!!

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ClayClai, did you get yours to work? Not sure what router firmware you're using, but I'm using OpenWRT, and the solution was to uncheck the "allow legacy 802.11b rates" setting, then Save, and Save and Apply.

The setting is under:
Network->Wireless
Click the Edit button associated with the 2.4GHz radio
Go to Advanced Settings tab
uncheck "allow legacy 802.11b rates"
Save, then Save and Apply. Possibly reboot the router after this.

trippnorris
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I cannot connect either.  I have tried everything restarting the Roku, checking my network connection, and I have even factory reset the Roku,  still nothing.  Please Help!

0 Kudos
Adie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

UPDATE

The day I made post above on Tuesday, I switched off and unplugged my Roku Express, PC and  router for around 20 minutes, and when I restarted, everything was working fine again - joy!

It was working well for the next few days, but then the same thing happened yesterday (Friday), only this time, shutting down everything and restarting (numerous times!) has had no effect so far. Symptoms are the same, i.e. my Roku Express simply can't "see" my wi-fi network, though it can see all my neighbours' networks!

However, as part of my troubleshooting, I gave my old Roku LT box a try, and it worked perfectly straight away, no trouble at all with the wi-fi. This indicates to me that it's the Roku Express itself that's the problem, and not the wi-fi... I emphasise that everything had been working perfectly for months (forever!) before Tuesday - are Roku installing firmware updates which could be causing this?

Thanks again for any help!!

0 Kudos
Adie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

PS Extra details in case they're useful:

Software version: 9.4.0

Build: 4190

Last checked: Dec 11 12:17 (this might tie in with when it stopped working yesterday?)

Last updated: Nov 12 15:04 (so might be nothing to do with updates?)

When I try to update the software, I get an "Unable to update software" dialogue box, and "Error 003", but 003 isn't listed on Roku's own list of error messages at https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208755728

Thanks again everyone!

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You'd think they'd pull the update so they wouldn't break more devices until they have a fix.

0 Kudos
Adie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R sorry to DM you with this but I'm pulling my hair out! My Roku Express is intermittently (randomly?) not detecting my wi-fi and is obviously unusable when this happens. It detects other wi-fi signals in my area, and my old Roku LT (and other devices in my home) detects my wi-fi fine, so I'm fairly convinced it's not a wi-fi problem.

The Roku Express was working perfectly until Tuesday, but since then it's a lottery as to when it will and won't work. I thought resetting everything was solving it, but that's not the case now. It wasn't working most of yesterday (Saturday) but I checked it late last night while boiling my kettle and it was back to normal again, but now on Sunday morning it not connecting again...

Any help appreciated, thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Adie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

UPDATE - SOLVED!

I got an answer from another forum which seems to have solved my problem - changing the channel on my router.

In brief, in case anyone as technically backwards as myself is reading this, conflicting or stronger signals from neighbouring networks can obscure your own wi-fi signal from your devices. However, most networks tend to congregate around the same channels, especially if you (like most people) just use the "Auto" settings, so if you change the channel on your router, you can hopefully find yourself a less crowded one.

You can download dedicated software to analyse the local signals, and hence avoid the busiest channels, but received wisdom is that channels 1, 6 & 11 are the least-used ones - I just used channel 1 and it worked first time!

Changing the channels was simplicity itself - just enter the router IP address (almost certainly on the back of the router itself, along with the password) in your web browser, and it will take you to the router "control panel" (the username if it asks will almost certainly be "admin.") Go to the Wireless section, and there's a dropdown list of channels to choose from. Pick one, save and you're all set!

0 Kudos
jimalso
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, changing the WiFi channel works for us - we've changed it maybe a dozen times in the last few months to bring our rokus back online (yes, its irritating to have to do it at all but it works consistently for us). The reason we lose the connection cannot be interference from other modems since there are no WiFi signals other than our own  at our location here in the woods. This temporary WORKAROUND doesn't actually 'fix' the problem and apparently does not work for everyone. A SOLUTION can only be provided by fixed firmware that doesn't lose the signal in the first place or acts by itself to recover - that is a problem for roku system programmers to solve!