Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ROKU WORKED FINE BEFORE, NOW NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET,

Jump to solution

All of a sudden, no longer connecting to internet. Nothing suggested online is working. Help please.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Roku works great...until it doesn't. Then you're out in the cold.

0 Kudos
bgbates
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So my problem is solved.  I went into advanced settings (admin console) of my router and found a restriction on this device (MAC address) I had to prevent internet access. It was an old setting which should he been disabled or ignored but for some odd reason it was turned on.  I deleted the device setting (rule) and now Roku is connecting to the internet on WiFi interface.  

If your using Parental Controls or Time of Day restrictions by device on your router you might check these settings and disable them if not needed.  If not a techie, suggest a factory reset of your internet/wifi router to clear out any rules that may be in conflict.

In my case I am using an ASUS RT-AC87U which I used to use the browser to change settings but now use the iPhone App.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If your Roku stops connecting after it's been working fine, and you haven't received a Roku OS update the previous day (other than the 4800, there hasn't been hardly any OS updates since December), chances are your router/access point has changed its WiFi channel to one unsupported by Roku devices. For the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, Roku devices only work on channels 1-11. If your router self-assigns channel 12, 13 or 14, it becomes invisible to your Roku. This is by design, because many countries don't permit those WiFi channels. In the 5 GHz WiFi band (only supported by Roku devices with dual band radios) the channel must be below 49 or above 148. Again, those in-between channels are labeled DFS, and they aren't permitted to be used in many locations. 

By default, almost every WiFi router/access point is set to self-assign the WiFi channel used. If it selects an unsupported channel, you must manually change that channel to one supported by Roku.

Your other devices may work fine simply because they will support those other channels. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Edmondj

Jump to solution

Great information💪🏿💪🏿💪🏿💪🏿

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Does anyone else think this current connectivity issue is due to the recent firmware update? Last week my device was connecting flawlessly, no stopping to load or anything. Needless to say i updated my device and to no avail wont connect anymore.🤷‍♂️

0 Kudos
MommaO
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don’t know enough about IT to answer but it does make sense since everyone is saying it was working fine then all of a sudden it doesn’t!!  We had ours for 3 months , worked great, then one day nothing!  Seems more than a coincidence, just saying....

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There hasn't been a recent firmware update on any of my devices except for the 4800 Ultra since mid-December. I don't think this is a firmware issue. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same problem, here.

Been using Roku Premier since December 2020.

Last night, mid film, it dropped connection and is unable to see my wifi. 

I have reset the device and my router and worked through all the troubleshooting suggestions. All my other wifi devices work fine.

There is no facility to contact Roku directly, which is appalling.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dear Danny,

Thank-you for your message.

Please can you advise those of us not so experienced in such things how to check that our router is broadcasting a 2.4 GHz wifi network and how we can change the broadcast channel?

My device is literally next to my router.

This happened, mid film, last night.

0 Kudos