Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bilbo1
Reel Rookie

Problem Connecting To Optimum Gateway 6 Router

So I upgraded my Optimum (my internet provider) router combo to their new Gateway 6 combo smart router. Roku sees my wifi connection but won't connect with my new password. I reset both my Roku and router combo. I have did a factory reset on my Roku and still the same problem. Again it sees my WiFi but won't accept my password. I have a Roku 3810 streaming stick that at least 3 year old. Also my router settings are locked by Optimum so I can't get into it to change anything in the router. Don't know what else to do.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Problem Connecting To Optimum Gateway 6 Router

@Bilbo1 

You should be able to change your Network Name and Password using either a laptop or the Optimum Support app. https://www.optimum.net/FAQ/#/answers/a_id/4000

Try changing the password to a simple one or see if you can leave blank/empty (create an open network).  If you can connect with no password/open network, then can conclude it is a password issue.  Hopefully, just changing will resolve the issue. (Remember to restart both the router and Roku after changing password.)

If the Roku will not connect when using a password, then you will likely to contact Optimum and verify that the router is using WPA2 protocol.  If the router is using WPA3-only, the Roku device will not be able to connect to your network.  Will need to set to as least WPA2/WPA3.

In the meantime, try disconnecting from power both the router and the Roku device for a few minutes.  Then plug back in and see if that helps reset whatever may be causing the issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Bilbo1
Reel Rookie

So my protocol is wpa2.. I was able check all my setting and did some changes.  Still a no go with the 3810 stick. I just spent 1.5 hrs with Optimum.  I told them what Roku tech support told me to do and still cannot connect.  There is nothing more the can do.  Now I am wondering if I need a new streaming stick. Any further suggestions 

0 Kudos
Bilbo1
Reel Rookie

The Roku tech support suggested these change and told Optimum the same thing:

⦁ Try to change the wireless channel as 1 or 6 or 11 for 2.4 GHz and as 161 for 5.0 GHz (Need to contact ISPS) 

⦁ DHCP settings to IPV4 instead of IPV6 

⦁ Disable MAC filtering 

⦁ The network mode should be B/G/N

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Bilbo1 

The suggestion by Roku support to use a channel 1, 6, 11 and to use wireless mode/protocol b/g/n is close to a default setting for most routers that should help most devices connect to the 2.4ghz band.  The firmware of some cable ISP routers require that b/g/n be enabled for some Roku devices to be able to connect and remain connected to the network. Should be able to use g/n and n-only, but switching to b/g/n just helps rule out the above issue.

For the 5ghz band, Roku cannot see or use DFS channels (52-140), so you can use channels 36-48, or 149-161. (can also use 165, but limited to a 20mhz bandwidth/channel-width and users can be bumped from that channel if you are around military areas so best to just avoid that channel).  If a router allows DFS usage, best to disable DFS in order to avoid disconnections of a Roku device.

Roku devices cannot use IPv6, so a router needs to be either configured IPv4 or IPv4/IPv6.

Regarding MAC filtering, each wireless device (and ethernet connected device) has a MAC address.  MAC filtering enables and disables devices from accessing either the network or the internet (depending on setup) based on this said MAC address.

-----

A couple more things to look into to determine if a Roku device issue or a router (or router settings issue).

1. Similar to the MAC address filtering mentioned above, verify that you have not Paused or Blocked your Roku from your network in the Optimum mobile app. (look at connected or allowed devices settings).

2. If you have a mobile hotspot available to you, try seeing if the Roku device can connect to the hotspot.  If it can connect to the hotspot, then a router setting is the likely culprit.

3. You mentioned this is a new Optimum router.  Is the old Optimum router completely removed from your network (ie. unplugged from power so as not to be broadcasting).

4. Did you try the previous suggestions to remove the password completely and create an open network for troubleshooting?   Or alternatively, create a simple password with no special characters.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Bilbo1
Reel Rookie

Apparently none of the solutions are working with this router. I am going to plan B. Of all of the other streaming options available only Firestick Max is WiFi 6 compatible. Nothing against Roku. This problem is forcing me to make a change. I really love the service. Been using it for years without any problems.  Hopefully Roku will update their system to work with WiFi 6 easily and correctly.

0 Kudos