Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GMS56

Private listening Inquiry | Connect other brand headphones

I am REALLY disappointed  with ROKU and the fact that they will not connect to other brand Bluetooth headphones. What kind of scam is that to prevent other brand accessories from being used. I will NEVER buy another ROKU branded product.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@GMS56 

The Roku mobile app for private listening (how you connect wired headphones to any Roku streamer) won't work with your headphones?

https://support.roku.com/article/360011612733

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Download the Roku Remote Control app to your smartphone. Then use any paired Bluetooth headphones you have that pair with your phone. Roku does not have native Bluetooth support

DBDukes

@AeroSpaceTech wrote:

... Roku does not have native Bluetooth support

It does have some Bluetooth support. But yeah, the app will accomplish this.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MilesT
Roku Guru

Also won't connect to Bluetooth speakers. 

Bluetooth support (some devices).in "inbound" to Roku only.  It is what Roku has chosen to do, along with headphone jack in Voice Remote/Pro

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@MilesT  That’s why you purchase the Roku Wireless speakers and sub. Roku has made a whole ecosystem like Apple 

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Indeed, except the wireless speakers/sub are not available outside NA (and are 110v power only, not multivoltatge or replaceable power brick, so can't import from NA).

Update: I could import and get them to work, but would need to buy a 240 to 110 transformer (commonly used on building sites in the UK), and that is expensive and ugly, on top of a device which is also expensive with shipping and taxes on top.

Not a Roku employee
EP512
Binge Watcher

Re: Private listening Inquiry | Connect other brand headphones

Does anyone have any experience with the Roku apps in the Amazon store?  I downloaded 2 Roku  apps from Amazon, since I have a fire tablet.  The apps work with my Roku soundbar as far as remote functions, but they do not have the headphone icon for private listening?  I know my Roku soundbar is capable because the android app I have on my other tablet works just fine.  I wonder why the app on Amazon doesn't have the function of private listening??

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@EP512 

First, I've not used the Roku app to control Roku Channel on non-Roku OS streaming devices. So, color what I say with that background. But ...

On Roku devices, the private listening (whether via remote or the Roku app on a mobile device) is an operating system level function, not an app level function.

The Roku apps for Amazon Fire TV would be app level, not OS level.

I'm not certain if Fire OS lets a mobile app that controls a single app also control an OS level function. That would not conform with standard protocol.

It seems to achieve what I think you're after, you'd want Roku Channel on your mobile device to mirror to your Fire TV device, and use the headphones of the mobile device to listen. What it sounds like you're trying to do is use the Roku app on a mobile device to control the Roku Channel on a Fire TV device, then access the Fire TV audio output. That's app level vs OS level.

On Roku devices, the app controls both. You can use the remote functionality on the Roku app as a remote control. You can't do that with the Roku app and a Fire TV.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
EP512
Binge Watcher

@DBDukes No I am NOT trying to control a fire tv device with a Roku app.  I am trying to use the Roku app on my Amazon tablet.  I HAVE a Roku streambar, that as I said works with the android Roku app on my android tablet.  The headphone/private listening function works fine there.  I just don't know why the option for headphone/private listening is not available on the Roku app in the Amazon store that I downloaded to my Amazon fire tablet?  It has all the functions of the android app, but it has no headphone/private listening icon? 

0 Kudos