Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hpulido3
Reel Rookie

Poor internet connection on wireless connection

My Roku Express box is showing poor reception.  I switched it with another box and thar one reads excellent.  I tried it on the TV I removed the one showing excellent and it shows poor again.  Is this telling me the box is no good and needs to be replaced?  I tried unplugging both the box and the router/modem.  Still doesn't work. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Poor internet connection on wireless connection

@hpulido3 

The Roku Express is Roku's last 2.4 GHz only device. All other current devices are dual band.

Some ISPs have changed their settings from 802.11 b/g/n to g/n, which has caused issues with Roku devices connecting on that band. Check your wireless router settings and see if that might be the cause.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jonas1
Channel Surfer

Has Roku software recently been changed regarding Network? I have four Rokus and a couple of them in this recent week have suddenly been showing pop-ups of needing network set-up and signal difficulty during an active playing channel, and where they have always been working, with no changes to my wireless router either.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jonas1,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku® streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet | Official Roku ...

Furthermore, if the affected device is a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that both devices are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos