Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajmoriginalange
Reel Rookie

One Roku connects to WiFi; other roku won't connect

Jump to solution

I have two roku express devices connected to different TVs in the house. For the past two Saturdays I haven't been able to get the roku express that's connected to the TV in the living room, which is in the same room as the Xfinity WiFi gateway, to connect to the wireless network. The wireless network is listed in the list of available networks and the roku says it has an "excellent" signal, but when I manually proceed through the steps to connect to the network (because it won't automatically connect), it fails to connect to the wireless network and I get 014.30 error, which means no internet connection (duh, because it won't connect!!). Meanwhile the roku express that's connected to a TV at the other end of the house from the wireless gateway, connects to the wireless network just fine even when it says signal is fair or good (mostly; sometimes it also has connection issues, but usually restarting the roku/wireless gateway fixes the issue) and I can launch channels and stream videos just fine.

I've googled and tried to troubleshoot to no avail. I've restarted both the wireless gateway and the roku multiple times, unplugged the roku and left it unplugged for multiple nights and then plugged it back in to restart, I've disabled network ping. Nothing has helped. Tonight I've been unable to get it to connect to the wireless signal. Now it seemed like this started Sat. 4/23, however, I didn't use it all that week (so I'm not sure if it was able to connect on any of those days), and then when I tried to use it again on Sat. 4/30, I had the same issue--it wouldn't connect even though I restarted both gateway and roku a few times. I think I tried again the next night? At which point I decided to unplug it and leave it unplugged until this evening when I plugged it back in and found it still wouldn't connect to the wireless. I logged into the Xfinity internet settings, and under the devices list, it says that this particular roku last connected to the wireless network on 4/29. So it appeared to be able to connect last Friday, at least according to my gateway's dashboard.

I'm at my wits' end here. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other trouble shooting that I can try? Does it seem like the wireless chip/antenna went bad? Any ideas about what the issue might be? Hoping someone can help and I don't have to buy a new one.

It's Model 3930X (Roku Express)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: One Roku connects to WiFi; other roku won't connect

Jump to solution

Ensure your router's wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
renojim

Jump to solution

Ensure your router's wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

0 Kudos
ajmoriginalange
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes; that worked! Thank you!! Just another quick question... once I've changed that setting is it changed permanently unless manually changed by the account user? Or is this something I might need to change back to b/g/n again if Xfinity issues an update to the gateway?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

It's quite possible that Xfinity will change it again, so if your Roku suddenly won't connect check the setting again.  It's not clear why some routers need b/g/n and others work with g/n, so maybe someday one side (Roku) or the other (Xfinity) will figure it out.

0 Kudos
Riley2014

Jump to solution

how do you change your router from b/n to g/b/n?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Riley2014, it depends on your router.  I gave a link for Xfinity-supplied routers.  Who is your ISP (Internet service provider) and/or router manufacturer and model number?

0 Kudos
billfuller
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

i have multiple roku tvs and boxes 5 total. im having issues with my 58 hisense roku tv. when i turn it on and want to stream something from rokus menu it says not connected, so i have to go to settings check connection after i follow that process it works. if i turn on and use cable box which is xfinity for me all settings are fine. then i go to xfinity apps pick the app and all is well but why have a roku tv when i have to go to xfinity. whats wrong with roku these days the new build 11 has so many issues.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Riley2014-

Forum user @AvsGunnar has provided the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
billfuller
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

not playing with my router its xfinitys best super super fast the problem is roku build 11, they changed bass boost, connection wifi/internet, and they haven't fixed the constant problem of having to re-pairing wireless speakers and sub. roku is joining the ranks of apple, updating without testing all its features then a fight to get it back. is this why most tv's have switched to android instead of roku????????????

0 Kudos
Keenacs23
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

i am having the exact same problem with the same device. I even did a factory reset, to no avail. Did you ever find a solution? 

0 Kudos