Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sofiaroma

Old Roku connecting but not new one

I have had the Roku stick for several years, i finally decided to update to a newer version and purchased the Roku Ultra on Amazon.I always wanted to be able to use headphones so I don't wake my daughter who works night shifts. I tried to install it but after going through all the steps and entering my wireless network, it could never connect to the network. I did check all connections, also unplugged my internet router and waited a bit before reconnecting everything. Problem persisted, so after so many tries I reconnected my old Roku stick and connected just fine to the wireless network with no problem. I went back and forth checking connections, and every time with the same results, the new Roku Ultra will not connect and the old one does. I am not sure if I should  question the authenticity of the product, but it was sealed when it arrived and brand new, although purchased on Amazon, I am assuming it came from the Roku company as they sell their complete line of products. Does Anyone has any idea why I am having this problem? I read someone else has connection problems with the Ultra ...I will probably run the ethernet cable to it, I just hate to do the extra drilling work and so forth.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
jsw285
Reel Rookie

Re: Old Roku connecting but not new one

Sofiaroma,

I have the same issue. I purchased a Roku Express 4K+ to connect an older TV in our breakfast nook area, with the hope of sending back my Comcast TV box and save $$ each month. However, I was unable to get the Roku Express 4K+ device to connect to the wireless network router. It fails after entering the wireless network password. Frustrating to say the least. 

Interestingly though, I have another older TV in a bedroom, like the one in my breakfast nook area. I recently connected an older Roku Express (model 2900A I believe) to this TV without any issues. The newer Roku Express 4K+ won't connect to either TV, but the older Roku does.

I believe the issue is that according to the Roku support website, all Roku 4K devices require DHCP 2.2 support in devices to which it attaches. My older TVs use DHCP 1.4. 

I considering purchasing the basic Roku Express device, not a 4K version, to see if that works. I too was considering the Ethernet route, but I don't know if that negates the DHCP 2.2 requirement.

Good luck to us both!

Jeff 

0 Kudos
jsw285
Reel Rookie

Re: Old Roku connecting but not new one

UPDATE:

Exchanged the ROKU Express 4K+ for a regular HD Express. Had same connectivity issue. Logged into my Comcast router and while there, I realized I was using my Comcast login pwd, not the WiFi pwd. Dumb mistake, but there it is. Once I used the WiFi pwd, Roku connected and updated. 

Sending the Comcast TV boxes back to Comcast. 

Jeff 

0 Kudos