Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eschriger
Reel Rookie

Re: Update 10.5 still causing issues with connectivity.

Thanks for the help. 
That seemed to work for connectivity on 2.5GHz wifi. 
Does the Express work w 5GHz?

0 Kudos
nitab
Reel Rookie

• Roku device model3930X-Roku Express , serial number X00400caavrj , device ID s008314AAVRJ, and software OS/version 10.5.0 build 4201_AE 
  • who is your internet provider? Xfinity dual band 802.11ac?
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs Roku Error code 014.40 Cant find a tracker id. 
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing the issue happens randomly, the roku loses wireless connection. wont reconnect for days. ive rebooted my router, all my other devices have connectivity, i reboot the roku, i have done factory reset. I haqve tried everything, my roku is less than 2 months old and at this point i feel you owe all of us a refund for our subscription fees. How are you charging people for something YOU KNOW IS BROKEN? 
0 Kudos
Momof1
Channel Surfer

UPDATE!

Check your software update. I had the option to roll back to version 10.0. 2 minutes later I’m up and running. Time for football!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@nitab, the 3930 only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.  There's a know issue with Xfinity supplied routers.  Ensure your wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lyss_18

Re: [OS 10.5] Express 3930 causing issues with connectivity

I have been having issues with my Roku since the middle last month and I am currently unable to send a PM, but I have information on my Roku box and I'd like it to be downgraded back to the 10.0 software. I know for a fact my internet isn't the issue, and I'm also aware that this has been a problem for many others as well and I'm hoping for this to be the last issue I have with my Roku box/any Roku software updates. Thanks.

Model - 3910RW - Roku Express+

Serial Number - YG00AS424653

Device ID - C5387A424653

Software Version - 10.5.0 build 4201-51

jcubed59
Reel Rookie

How do I open a problem/incident report/ticket with Roku Technical Support for this ongoing issue with software update version 10.5.0 build 4201-28 pushed by Roku to customers’ Roku devices on Nov 17 (6:32 pm Pacific). It has been two weeks and it appears to me that no solution has been provided, nor do troubleshooting procedures offered, solve the problem. Why can’t the prior software known to function correctly be pushed to customers? It’s coincidental that this occurred just prior to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Christmas. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
felixdragnet
Reel Rookie

Same here.  We have two nearly identical Roku express's in different rooms.  The one is running 10.0.0, sees all the WIFI networks and connects fine, as usual.  The second one (running 10.5.0) stopped working about a week ago and refuses to detect ANY wireless networks or connect to any.  It worked fine for months previous. 

The only difference between the two devices is the OS version.

We finally figured out what was going on when we took the (working) 10.0.0 and moved it into the room with the broken 10.5.0, plugged in the 10.0.0 instead, and everything worked fine.\

Is Roku really bricking their own devices with software updates now?  I've been a big fan of the devices for a while now, but this is a major annoyance to just have a device randomly stop working. 

I'm expecting our second 10.0.0 device to brick itself too when it finally updates to 10.5.0. 

If that happens, I definitely will NOT be buying any more Roku devices.

Does anyone know if there's a fix, or a way to get a replacement device from Roku?

0 Kudos
felixdragnet
Reel Rookie

Re: Express devices causing issues with connectivity

I'm having the same issue.

We have 2 nearly identical Roku Express devices (3900X and 3920X).  The 3900X received the 10.5 update and stopped working about a week ago.  We brought up the other 3920X device upstairs (still running on 10.0.0 because we don't use it that frequently, so I guess it wasn't online to get the update) and plugged it into that TV instead, and it worked fine, so I know it's not my internet connectivity.  Two devices, same TV, same spot on the shelf in the house... one works (10.0.0) and one is bricked (10.5.0).

The issues we're seeing with the 10.5.0 is that it will not detect ANY wireless networks and refuses to connect to even the previously saved ones - either 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz (we have both, with different SSID names) that the broken device previously had no issues with, before it updated.  It's worked fine for well over a year prior to that. 

Very disappointed in Roku.  I've been a big fan for years, but if they're going to start bricking devices with software updates that apparently have no solution to fix, my next purchase will definitely not be another Roku.

Is there any way to fix this issue, or request a replacement device with an OS that actually works?  

I don't see how I'll be able to update the broken one, even if they push a patch, since it refuses to connect to any wireless networks.  If Roku isn't willing to send out replacement devices, shame on them.

0 Kudos
felixdragnet
Reel Rookie

I suspect this is an issue CREATED by Comcast. 

I doubt that.  We have Fios, not Comcast, and the 10.5.0 update bricked one of our Roku Express devices.  

We have 2 express devices in the house (the second was in the basement, which was rarely used, and so was still running 10.0.0).  We brought the basement one upstairs, plugged it into the same TV where 10.5.0 was, and it worked as usual: connected to Wifi, played channels, etc...

So I'm pretty sure it's entirely Roku's issue and something in version 10.5.0 is what broke wifi connectivity.  Comcast may have exacerbated the issue with updates of their own, but we're having this issue on Fios, so it can't ALL be Comcast.

The fact it happened a week ago (or more), and the company is apparently still silent on any way to fix it, is really discouraging.

And even if Roku pushes out a patch to fix 10.5.0, that's kinda useless to those of us who's devices won't connect (or even see) any wifi network at all anymore.  Hard to download a patch if your device cannot get onto the wifi, right?

I used to love Roku, but this is a huge mistake, if they're going to brick devices randomly and not even tell us how to fix it, or offer to replace broken devices... are we just supposed to suck it up and throw the device out and now have to buy some competitor's product?

I am SO happy right now that our smart TV isn't a Roku TV, and instead we bought an amazon smart TV, because at least that still works.

Definitely will not be buying or recommending Roku products anymore, if this is how the company is managed.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@felixdragnet

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried the troubleshooting step that @renojim mentioned?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos