Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhuno

Not recognizing internet connection

Roku device randomly stopped picking up my wifi. Ran through known solutions (reset the device, reset the router) before giving up and buying a new device only to discover… still nothing. Same issue as before. I have 2 other Roku TV’s in the home, neither of which have any issues. It’s not my wifi (I work from home and am on my network all day) and the particular device that is giving me issues is about 8 inches away from my router so I know it’s not a physical distance thing. Any ideas??

also: does Roku have a support number or is this our only option for help?

11 REPLIES 11
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Not recognizing internet connection

The devices that aren’t working they’re probably Roku express correct? A Roku express only uses 2.4 GHz WiFi. If you rent your modem from your ISP you need to reconfigure your modem to work properly with your Roku. if you bought the more expensive Roku’s those come with door band. Who is your ISP?

dhuno

Comcast. Or xfinity or whatever they’re calling themselves nowadays. 

But the old device had been trucking along and then just *poof*- quit. Would the ISP have changed my wifi suddenly?

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Because the push out new firmware to the modem. If you look throughout this community you’ll see people the same issue. Comcast is the company. XFinity is the service. and because you bought one of the lower and model Roku‘s it cannot switch between networks 

dhuno

So the resolution is to buy a higher-end roku then?

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

If you go into your modem you can reconfigure it to work. Your ISP can also do this 

dhuno

Ok I’ll call Comcast tomorrow, thank you!

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-Express-Not-Staying-Connected/...

With the release of firmware updates to certain ISP routers, the single-band 2.4ghz Roku devices like your Roku Express 3930/3931 are having issues connecting and streaming properly.

The remedy and first troubleshooting step for this is to change/verify that the Wireless Mode/Protocol in the router's wireless settings are configured to b/g/n.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

Sewlful
Reel Rookie

I'm having same problem, but I have the Roku Premium. (2) and the front room stopped altogether and says no signal, the back room shows home not connected. I have followed all the suggestions, but cannot get my Roku to connect on the wireless altho it shows my internet and wireless as strong, it just will not connect. Very frustrating. Where is the problem? 

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Sewlful-

The wifi in your Premiere, like the Express mentioned earlier in this thread, only operates in the 2.5 GHz wifi band.

There are a couple router setting issues being reported lately that can prevent establishing Roku wifi connections. And to make matters worse, both of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/xFinity, Cox, and ATT so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
    A) Some router updates have turned off the 2.4 GHz wifi band on the router leaving only thr 5 GHz nand in operation. Roku Express/Express+ (not the relatively new Express 4K/4K+ models 3940/3941) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers above 4620) are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it. If you have one of these Roku models and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

B) All Rokus support channels 1-11 in the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range.

C) Rokus with dual-band wifi radios can connect to the 5 GHz wifi band in two ranges of channel numbers, 36-48, and 149-165. If your router supports 5 GHz channels outside these two ranges make sure your router is set to use a channel with these ranges and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside these ranges.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power, or if more convenient you can just remove the Roku's power for a few seconds and let it restart.

For either of these issues, if you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X