Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ss92397
Reel Rookie

New device keeps updating software over and over.

Jump to solution

It restarts the tv and performs setup again and again....what's my problem? Additional question;  The device in question is a ROKU express unit. Now I have two Roku units, one for each tv.  Do I still have to pay for separate accounts?  (10.99 each)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New device keeps updating software over and over.

Jump to solution

@Ss92397 

As @renojim suggested, try using a USB power adapter at your wall outlet instead of plugging the USB cable into the back of your TV.  Some TV power ports cannot supply the necessary power to run streaming devices.  You can use a cell phone USB charging adapter (5volt, 1amp) if your device did not come with an adapter that you can plug into the wall.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
renojim

Jump to solution

Let's start with the last question.  You don't pay for a Roku account, period.  Who are you paying and for what?  Subscriptions (e.g., Netflix, Hulu, Paramount, etc.) cost money, but simply having a Roku account does not.  If you're asking whether you have to pay multiple times for the same subscription then the answer is generally no, but it depends on a few things, so we'd need more information.

For the restarting issue, how are you powering the Express?  Did it come with a USB power adapter?  If so, use it.  If not, make sure the one you're using can supply at least 1 Amp.  Look at the fine print on the adapter and it should show something like, Output:  5V 1A.  More than 1 Amp is ok, but not less.  If you're using the USB port on the TV to power it then keep in mind that some TVs don't provide enough power for a Roku device.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ss92397
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for the clarity on the billing question. I will look into my subscription of the monthly 10.99 fees separately from this post.

Now to the real problem... Yes, I am using the USB cables provided with the Roku express unit. The initial setup went as planned per the instructions in the packaging. The USB cable is plugged into the back of my TV.  As mentioned before, the setup sequence started as planned. It found my available wifi in which I logged on to with no issues. Once the wifi was found, a popup menu asked for an update to be ok'd and the Roku unit would restart to the Roku menu showing the familiar Roku app page.  Well, after selecting the button, "OK" for the update to completion, The window to update continues to start over and over again.  It will not proceed any further. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Ss92397 

As @renojim suggested, try using a USB power adapter at your wall outlet instead of plugging the USB cable into the back of your TV.  Some TV power ports cannot supply the necessary power to run streaming devices.  You can use a cell phone USB charging adapter (5volt, 1amp) if your device did not come with an adapter that you can plug into the wall.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

All Roku models should come with the USB power adapter so you can plug it into the wall outlet, since Roku absolutely knows that some TVs USB ports are not enough to power a Roku player. Not providing that adapter is ridiculous and it's just Roku being cheap and causing customers problems. Not what you would expect from a company, they need to change their policy.

Similar thing with the Roku Streaming Stick 4K, it does not come with an HDMI extender. You can order one for free once you receive your stick by typing in the serial number to confirm your purchase but you shouldn't have to do that. You wait several days for your Roku to come in the mail if you ordered it on Roku.com then you have to wait several more days for the HDMI extender to show up. The extender should be included in the packaging just like it is for Fire TV Sticks.

Roku needs to get their act together because their decisions to not include these vital things in the packaging shows how inept the company truly is.

0 Kudos
Ss92397
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Correct no adapter came with my Express. I used the phone adapter as suggested, and it solved my problem.

Can't thank you all enough.

Mknzy

Jump to solution

after much searching and pulling of hair, I finally found your post.  despite no red light on the Roku that was exactly the problem.  Plugged it directly into power outlet and finally worked.  Big time thanks.