Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimShaw
Roku Guru

New Roku connects strangely

My neighbor just had Frontier installed WiFi using an ethernet cable connected to Frontier's new Erro router with a speed of 500 mbps.

I installed a new Roku Express 4k+.  Mbps at the TV's location is about 180 mbps.  BUT once connected all the Roku shows is a "Fair" connection.  I have rebooted/restarted a number of times but can only get "Fair" which is almost like no WiFi at all.

Anyone have a thought as to why only "Fair"?  No matter what I try, only "Fair"

Bad Roku and needs to be returned?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
DieselTech
Binge Watcher

Re: New Roku connects strangely

So your using your neighbors WiFi? How far away is it from your Roku? Or are you saying you installed a Roku Express 4K for your neighbor? Is the Roku on the 2.4GHz WiFi or the 5.0GHz WiFi? The Roku Express 4K is a dual band device. Be sure it’s on the 5.0GHz WiFi. How far away is the Roku to the modem?

0 Kudos
JimShaw
Roku Guru

Installed for a neighbor

Distance away?  About 45 feet straight through walls.  WiFi measured at the Roku on the TV around 180 mbps. 

I haven't check yet but I would say 2.4 GHz because there is also an Express about 8 feet apart (separated by a wall) and it gets a Roku "Good"

As soon as my neighbor gets home, I'll take my Express and plug it in where the Express 4K is and test for speed to see if it matches or betters the 4K

0 Kudos
DieselTech
Binge Watcher

Using your phone to measure your Wi-Fi speed when comparing it to your Roku is not a good idea because your phone and computer is faster than your Roku. Each Roku device actually has its own built-in speed test. If you go into settings/network/check connection and press the OK button on your Roku remote. When it’s done it will give me an overall speed test. The 2.4 is slower then the 5.0. The walls that are separating it are they brick or plaster? if you move the Roku closer to the modem what happens? Have you done any sort of troubleshooting?

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@JimShaw 

It really isnt a problem unless there are loading/buffering/etc issues when actually streaming.

It is more likely the new Roku is connected to the 5Ghz band (especially considering the measured 180Mbps speed), and signal attenuation through walls etc is reducing signal strength (as is the disadvantage of 5Ghz relative to 2.4Ghz), thus causing "Fair" (5Ghz) instead of "Good" (2.4Ghz).

Best practice is to use separate SSIDs for each WiFi band a modem/router/gateway has (2.4/5/6/etc) and name them appropriately (e.g. "Jim2" "Jim5" "Jim6"), that way you can control which band each device connects to (when they all use the same SSID it can/does create all sorts of issues, and "band steering" doesnt always work well).

Once the SSIDs are separated, you can then decide which band each device connects to thereby better controlling their streaming performance etc.

0 Kudos
DieselTech
Binge Watcher

@JimShaw  2.4GHz travels farther but is slower. 5.0GHz is faster but travels less distance. 25 Mbps is enough to stream with no issues. 
No ISP Guarantees Wi-Fi speeds. True Internet speed test are done on ethernet. 45’ is not far but it depends upon The construction of the home also. My own is 2400 sq ft. Open floor plan. I located my modem to a central location. Every device in my home gets a clean crips signal. Even 200 ft away. My garage Roku TV reports 45 Mbps I have a 500 Mbps internet connection. The main Roku TV shows 200 Mbps 

0 Kudos
JimShaw
Roku Guru

Use to see connection speeds but all I see now when doing a check is: Fair, Good, Excellent.

You did bring up a thought.  After doing WiFi search, I didn't look for a 5-G.   

I'll see if I can get into the home and double check

0 Kudos
DieselTech
Binge Watcher

@JimShaw  You need to actually click on check connection to get a speed test. It’s in network settings. Every Roku has it 

0 Kudos
JimShaw
Roku Guru

It is more likely the new Roku is connected to the 5Ghz band (especially considering the measured 180Mbps speed), and signal attenuation through walls etc is reducing signal strength (as is the disadvantage of 5Ghz relative to 2.4Ghz), thus causing "Fair" (5Ghz) instead of "Good" (2.4Ghz).

I'm going to try and get back in today and take a look

0 Kudos
JimShaw
Roku Guru

I'll go back and test

0 Kudos