Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimShaw
Roku Guru

Neighbor had Frontier install their new WiFi/Internet router--now a problem

Neighbor just had Frontier install their WiFi/Internet using their new EERO router

Speed is fantastic, 500 mbps.  About 180 where there are two TVs which I connected two Rokus.

Now the problem:
One TV is connected "Good" to Roku with a down load speed of 2 mbps.  (WiFi speed measured at the TV is above 180 mbps for both TV spots)

Second TV connected as "Fair" with a down load speed of 1 mbps.  No way is 1 or 2 mbps fast enough to stream.

On my neighbor's TVs, I have tested new Rokus and used Rokus (some I know are working perfectly because I use at my house which are down loading at 51 mbps with a WiFi speed of 56 mbps) and no matter what Roku I test on my neighbor's TVs, they only connect at Fair or Good (depending on which TV)

Today I had Frontier test the speed of the ERRO router and was told the up loan and down load speeds tested at over 509 mbps

The ERRO must be sending out 2.4 signal or the Express Roku would not be able to connect at all to a 5G signal

Frontier, instead of connecting the ERRO to a coaxial cable, ran an ethernet cable from the box outside to the ERRO router.  I don't if that makes a difference

I have installed many, many Rokus over the years for my neighbors and this is the first that I have had a problem.

Anyone have an Idea that I haven't thought of?????

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Neighbor had Frontier install their new WiFi/Internet router--now a problem

@JimShaw wrote:

...l or the Express Roku would not be able to connect at all to a 5G signal...

That is correct. The Roku Express is a 2.4 GHz only device. All other Roku devices are dual band and can connect to either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band.

If all of your neighbor's devices are 2.4 GHz only devices, then you'll want to ensure there is no interference on that band. Bluetooth devices, IoT devices (smart light switches, etc), and many other equipment operate on the 2.4 GHz band.

Check the channel it's using. Eero should do a good job of picking a clear (or at least less crowded) channel, but you may need to manually set that. Use 1, 6, or 11, as they don't overlap each other.

You can go to Settings > Network > About and see the channel it's using, but check the router setup and change that if necessary.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
JimShaw
Roku Guru

Re: Neighbor had Frontier install their new WiFi/Internet router--now a problem

DBDukes

I thank you the information.

I will try the setting as you have stated and see if that helps.

But first I thought that I would move the EERO from the spot it's in (office in another room 50 feet away) and using a 50" Ethernet cable, plug it in the female connection Frontier set up, run the cable across the floor, plug in the EERO and see of the Roku can make a good connection with the router 10 feet away

Then I'll test your suggestion

This might take a day or so but I will get back as to what has happened

Once again, thanks

0 Kudos