Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kayli10

My uncles Roku tv stopped wifi connection

My uncle called me today about his tv and I went to him to fix it. It’s a Roku tv , not attached device Somehow tv stopped taking the wifi. He says he did not do anything but now sure

Initially reset wifi but no luck

un plugged tv but did not work

performed wifi reset on tv and found the wifi again ,Nope .

4)factory reset the tv and now it’s still asking wifi

Whenever I enter wifi credentials it accepts and looks good but then does not see wifi .

I tried my hotspot connection with my phone and it seemed like working but hot spot can not solve the problem.

Currently we are on factory reset version. It literally has nothing on the screen . I enter wifi credentials seems like accepting but then still no wifi

Any advice ?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My uncles Roku tv stopped wifi connection

What brand of Roku TV is it? TCL TVs have a past history of bad solder joints on their WiFi antenna connection. 

So, the TV sees the WiFi connection, accepts the password, but still doesn't appear to have access to the Internet? And you say it works on your phone hotspot, so that points the finger at the home's WiFi access point. If the router/modem is provided by the ISP, note that they can access the device remotely and on occasion make changes that the user might not be aware of.

On the TV's Settings/Network/Status screen, please tell us what you see. It should have an IP address that probably starts with 192.168.x.x, and it should show the channel number the WiFi is using. Please tell us what those numbers are.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My uncles Roku tv stopped wifi connection

Your symptoms seem to match this issue:

Your problem may have been caused by an update to your router which affects some Roku models. If you receive this update it changes the router's wifi connection parameters for the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to g/n. This has been reported for routers supplied by Comcast/xFinity, Cox, and AT&T, but there may be others.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from the g/n wifi set by the update back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's configuration controls you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos