Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Roku won’t detect my wifi!!!!!

Jump to solution

I just bought a used Roku express and plugged it into my TV. Everything seems to be working fine, but unfortunately all the Wi-Fi’s around me come up besides mine we have two other Roku TVs in the household but no Roku expresses. I am not sure what the issue is. We have been using our hotspot, but can only use that for so long. I am not sure if this is a Roku problem or a Wi-Fi issue even though our Wi-Fi seems to be working great on all other devices, but won’t show up on our Roku express. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku won’t detect my wifi!!!!!

Jump to solution

@mariambeast 

The Roku Express is a 2.4ghz-only device.  This means that it can only see and use your 2.4ghz wireless network band.  Likely that your RokuTVs (which are dual band devices - can see and use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands) are using your 5ghz band wireless band for connection.

Since the Roku Express is connecting to your hotspot and working properly, indicates that the Express is operational.

If you have a cable ISP (Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, or AT&T) you will need to verify that your 2.4ghz is "Enabled" and "Broadcasting", and that the "Wireless Mode" under the 2.4ghz wireless settings in the router are configured to b/g/n.  Also verify that you are using a wireless channel between 1 and 11. (1, 6, and 11 preferred).  Roku cannot see or use channels 12, 13, and 14.

You can make these changes at the router or through the ISP mobile apps if applicable, or you may have to contact the ISP to make these changes for you.

Feel free to update or post back if you still need help.  Include router model number and ISP (internet service provider).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@mariambeast 

The Roku Express is a 2.4ghz-only device.  This means that it can only see and use your 2.4ghz wireless network band.  Likely that your RokuTVs (which are dual band devices - can see and use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands) are using your 5ghz band wireless band for connection.

Since the Roku Express is connecting to your hotspot and working properly, indicates that the Express is operational.

If you have a cable ISP (Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, or AT&T) you will need to verify that your 2.4ghz is "Enabled" and "Broadcasting", and that the "Wireless Mode" under the 2.4ghz wireless settings in the router are configured to b/g/n.  Also verify that you are using a wireless channel between 1 and 11. (1, 6, and 11 preferred).  Roku cannot see or use channels 12, 13, and 14.

You can make these changes at the router or through the ISP mobile apps if applicable, or you may have to contact the ISP to make these changes for you.

Feel free to update or post back if you still need help.  Include router model number and ISP (internet service provider).

Max8

Jump to solution

I'm having a similar issue of my Roku express not finding my network, and it seems to be a 5GHz issue. When I reconfigured my router to broadcast separate networks for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, it found the 2.4GHz just fine, but not the 5GHz.

Now, you said that Roku Expresses are not 5GHz devices, but on the product page it says explicitly that it's dual-band capable. Copy and pasted:

Networking
802.11b/g/n dual-band Wi-Fi® (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz)

Here's where I got it from: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express

What am I missing?
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Max8 

Roku recently released a new version of the Roku Express that is dual band.

The model number of the new dual band Express is 3960.

Any other model number would indicate a previous Express version. (2.4ghz only).  You can see your model number under Settings/System/About.

----

Roku really should have given the new Express 3960 a different name in order to eliminate confusion.

The new Express 3960 will begin shipping next week so anyone with a present Roku Express is using the previous models.

0 Kudos
Max8

Jump to solution

Ah mine is 3930... dang it!!

Thanks for the help

Torywv

Jump to solution

My roku disconnects after being paused or the tv turned off. I do not have the ability to adjust my router. This is a new problem yet I have not changed providers or service. This is ridiculous. I bought this roku less than a year ago. The problem isnt happening with my ultra or my son's firestick, only w the roku express.