Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve01351
Channel Surfer

Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

I've only had a Roku for 3 days and it worked fine on the first 2.  Yesterday it just lost the wifi connection at least 6-8 times.  Seriously.  I checked my internet in the next room and it was fine each time.  I reset the roku each time and it was fixed.  For a few minutes and then it just stopped.

Powering off and restarting my "router" is just silly advice.  I mean, besides the little fact that EVERY OTHER wifi device in my home (at least 8-9) works fine, I have FOUR mesh type routers spread around in my house at various points.  Resetting all of them would be time consuming and a pain.  Especially as they simply aren't the problem.  

After the last instance of the Rocu losing its wifi, I ripped it off of the TV in frustration, threw it in the trash and ordered a Rocu Ultra so I could use a physical line instead of wifi.  Now I just have to go fish it out of the trash so I can send it back for a refund and write a review.  🙂

31 REPLIES 31
Postwick
Binge Watcher

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Here you are again with the same canned response that doesn't fix the problem. 

Steve01351
Channel Surfer

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

So your advice is that I should jump through hoops to follow a silly suggestion that hasn't a snowball's chance of helping in order to waste my time in the certain knowledge that it won't solve a problem caused by a **bleep** product?

Yeah, that makes sense. 🙂

0 Kudos
Steve01351
Channel Surfer

I DID fish it out of the trash and hooked it back up to set it back to factory defaults before I returned it.  It actually connected to the internet again.  For about 3 minutes.  So I just plugged a laptop into that port on my TV and started streaming the show that the Roku had lost.  And wouldn't you know, there were no problems.  

But I probably should have followed those time consuming and silly instructions to reset my router(s) that were all working perfectly.  I mean, that IS the canned advice so it must be right, right?

0 Kudos
Postwick
Binge Watcher

LOL

I'm starting to wonder if the Roku support accounts here are just bots.

How could the same person (Roku Steve) reply to numerous reports of this problem over the course of two to three years and not notice it's the same problem over and over? 

0 Kudos
Steve01351
Channel Surfer

Good question. They're either bots or very poorly paid and trained people who have no actual interest in or education about wifi. That idiotic "reset the router" advice isn't just theirs though. Almost every internet problem I've ever had with a supplier like Verizon or Comcast starts with the same "advice". I've actually NEVER found that to be any kind of solution. Sometimes the problem is the modem. Usually the problem lies with the device that's having trouble though. It's not impossible for the router to be the problem, but most routers are really simple I/O devices.

0 Kudos
yhofer

Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

I bought Roku and had the same problem I ended up plugging the Roku directing into the usb port on my dumb TV instead of to a block to the power strip and it stopped the disconnecting issue. Hope this helps someone else solve their disconnect issues. 

0 Kudos
willhuneycutt
Channel Surfer

went to advanced wifi settings on my router, turned off WPS and saved changes, and instantly fixed. Not sure why a firmware/software update can't fix this in the roku devices.

0 Kudos
Steve01351
Channel Surfer

Thanks.  I ended up just getting a Roku Ultra so I could use an ethernet connection and the problem went right away though.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@willhuneycutt @Steve01351 

Thanks for the posts.

We are glad that you were able to resolve your issue. In case the issue resurfaced, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Have a great day!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos