Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Very good to hear. Hopefully you won't have to reset it every day, but at least it is not every 5 minutes!

Lenny1
Channel Surfer

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Hi,, Thanks,,, yes,, I don't know that much about the connections. I appreciate your explanation as to why the 3rd rest worked. Actually this Roku (I use 3) is the closest to the router. I did heed your advice and have the address assignments written down so I can compare if the problem appears again.  It has been 24 hours and no problem so far !!! Thanks for the information !!  Len

0 Kudos
J3M

Jump to solution

I agree I have 3 expresses in three different rooms they have slowly declined in the last few months.  Watch a movie and get stop action.  I have a Ubiquiti wifi system and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Depending which tv i put a Roku on it may work or not,  Settings network will tell you what the quality of the signal is either poor, fair, good and excellent.  Do they just go bad if so i'm disappointed.

Jim M

CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It does look like that is the case. Either intentionally through an "update" to get you to buy a new unit, or through ignorance of deciding what they have mostly works, so if it goes kaput and forces people to buy a new unit every year, not a bad thing for Roku. They are concentrating on their channel and subscriptions. The Roku unit was merely a gateway at this point and seems to be treated as such in "development." Other streaming devices do not have the kind of technical needs that Roku has. If you're adept at router settings and channels, you can have some fun playing around, but in the end, Roku should be able to solve this if they concentrated on this instead of original content on their Roku channel. But this is nowhere near as lucrative or high-status that original content gives the management. If you keep having issues, just switch. You can still subscribe to the Roku channel if that is why you stay with their hardware.

Adtpete
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can you repost the solution you came up with? I have 4 roku and tonight 3 just stopped working as in can't connect to my Spectrum internet. Nothing has changed on the internet side. Phones tablets computer work fine on wifi except roku can't connect or even see my 5g. Trying to connect to 2g and no go. Rebooted router, unplugged and or reset roku numerous times, factory reset roku nothing!

Thanks in advance 

counselor
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Welcome to the club.  Sorry I can't help.  Finally had to abandon Roku and get another device.  So have others as you can see.  Good luck, but don't expect Roku to come up with a solution.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Adtpete 

If your devices cannot see your 5gzh (Express and Premiere models only use the 2.4ghz band so will never see or use the 5ghz, all other Roku models are dual band devices so can use both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands).  If you have a dual band device and cannot see your 5ghz , most likely your router has assigned an incompatible wireless channel to this band.  Below is a recommended network setup as a refresher... (Access your router settings and verify/change the following to reflect)

2.4gz network band..... Radio Enabled/On, set Channel between 1-11, not Auto, 12, 13, or 14, Protocols/Mode set to b/g/n, Bandwidth 20Mhz.

5gz network band..... Radio Enabled/On, set channel 36-48 or 149-161, not Auto or any channel 52 thru 140, Protocols/Mode set to N/AC, Bandwidth 20mhz  or 20/40.

The solution that worked for @Lenny1  was that he restarted his router multiple times (3 times) which most likely triggered a channel change on his 2.4ghz band that provided a good connection for his Roku Express.  Sometimes you may get lucky, but the best method is to do a manual configuration of your router's wireless settings to eliminate a band configuration as a cause.  Once eliminated, there are some additional settings unique to different routers and router firmware that may also help which have been passed along by forum members.  We have also come across some routers that are ISP controlled and not easily configurable by the end-user which may complicate the connection of Roku devices and further frustrate the user.  

Really have to do some troubleshooting steps (even if they seem basic), in order to narrow down whether it a network issue, a device issue, or a Roku OS issue.  Each of these issues really is case by case.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

drdave39
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Spectrum cable modem was the issue! I had all he disconnection issues folks have noted here, and went to Firesticks which did work. However,  service was still slow and unreliable overall. Spectrum came out and checked it and told me my modem was out of date, and installed a new one. Updated to a new router and mesh system for the house at the same time. All my Roku devices work fine now. 

Adtpete
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you very much! I'm going to hang onto that info. Restarted the router and modem twice and FM it came back. Guess I tried to hard to figure out why because nothing visible had changed. It's like MS, 3 finger salute, problem solved 😂😂😂

Adtpete
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your support! See next from Gunner for my solution!😂😂 The old MS 3 finger salute, poof problem solved!😂😂