Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenny1
Channel Surfer

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,,,,  I have a similar problem with my Premier Roku purchased in May 2020...  It will work excellent for about 5 minutes then loose the connection.  I can watch the clock and it is very close to the 5 minute mark and boom,, drops off.. reset it and in 5 minutes,,, it drops.  Let it cool for 4 hours (no, doesn't feel hot at all),, no help,,,  connected it to another network,,same exact issue..  It has run wireless since new with no issues whatsoever and now this.  Changing cables also no help. It can with a power source,, but replacing it,, no help.    ??? any ideas??  Thanks,  Len

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

@Lenny1
Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Chevyspeed

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue.  I have to reset multiple times for a roku streaming Stick+ that was bought 9/20.  Even then it won’t always link.  Done everything listed it just doesn’t connect on its own anymore.  Not worth the hassle since it keeps happening everyday!  Also the controls for going through the menu are having a major delay.  Just getting to the settings menu takes minutes.  It says it’s updated.  Once it connects the delay is gone.

Every other device in the house has no issues including 2 Roku premiers and a roku TV.  This Stick+ is garbage right now.  Luckily we have a smart TV’s and only got this for Apple TV.

0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

When it comes time to replace your equipment (especially if you just bought it last September), do yourself a favor and purchase anything but Roku. With the Premiers, probably a matter of time. I had multiple Rokus all over, reset the router, changed the router channels, had the device 3 feet from the router. To no avail. I'm pretty sure the list of items you are to try is to keep you busy and frustrated until you just go and buy a new device. If you buy a new Roku, you are just playing the perpetual game. I don't know if it is intentional, or they don't know what they are doing, but either way, not a game I'm willing to play. Firestick, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc. The more that purchase something else, the more they turn to making sure the products they put out work for more than a few minutes at a time.

counselor
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I don't understand why @UserDanny keeps repeating the same questions.  Does he not understand that the problem is with the Roku device, not our routers, TVs, etc.  All we want to do is watch the programs, not play with the hardware.  Roku devices seem to be failing and Roku has not offered to correct the problem or take them back.  Not consumer friendly.  Try other devices instead of aggravating yourselves.

0 Kudos
Lenny1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello Danny, Thank you for the earlier reply. Can't figure out how to send a personal message, so am using this access.  (yep,, am an Newbie)

To answer your questions,,,,,,  yes, 2.4GHz,,, changed channels,, unplugged from its dedicated power supply,,, HDMI cable swapped...  Here is a better description of issue,,,,, 3920X Premier located 8' from router has worked flawlessly since purchase in May 2020.  3 days ago, when TV turned on, it was not connected to internet.  Connected and it ran fine for about 5 1/2 minutes. (Using digital clock so between 5-6 minutes.)

Then,, after 3 days of playing around with it,, I can say that "it requires a device reset" because this is what fixes it. I don't have to add the network name or password,, I just have to reset the device (the Roku),, and,, then everything is fine for,, yep,, that 5 1/2 minutes when it goes to "not connected".

I have tried a factory reset also,, in fact,, if it hits the 5 1/2 minute time,, it drops the reset and I have to begin all over and enter the information more quickly.   Connected to a different secure network,,, the same exact scenario occurs.    I'll include the information you requested at the end of this note,,,,   I am "thinking" that there may have been an automatic update to the unit ????  and there is some "loop" that occurs in that 5-6 minute time-frame that is causing the problem?????   It runs perfect for that 5-6 minutes.  I have also adjusted other settings available in "System" from their default and nothing has helped.     OK,, may the force be with you,, ha ha,, Thanks for the time spent helping me, and possibly others, with this issue,, even if unsuccessful.

3920X Premier          YH00D2174399         S/W 9.4.0  4200-91

Device ID  K4302D174399 [personal information removed]

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Lenny1

Thanks for the post.

I have responded to your PM and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

If you do discover a solution, please post it in the public forum. Hundreds if not thousands will appreciate having a response that actually fixes the issue. If you don't, please report that as well. It is extremely important for all Roku customers to know whether or not Roku can figure it out. If a solution is not posted, we'll continue to assume there has been no progress made.

Lenny1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I followed the advice that RokuDanny-R provided. I did complete more than one attempt. The 3rd time I did a router reboot,, the Roku was fixed!  No, I am not really electronic literate so I don't know what the difference was,, I just turned off the router, turned it back to on,,, everything in the house worked as normal except the Roku,,, 2nd time the response was the same. The 3rd time,,, and then the Roku worked and has not dropped off since and it has been hours. It originally would last 5 1/2 minutes and then need to be Reset.

My only advice is to try each step a few times, perhaps there is some magic in it???  

Thanks for everyone who took an interest!!!   Len

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Good job @Lenny1.  At this point with it working, you should take note of your router settings so you know what gives you a working condition.  It is not uncommon to need to do router reboots to reestablish connection with wireless devices.  Also, you need to take into account that if you have your router configured to Auto (by default), then every time it restarts, it attempts to establish a connection with automatic settings. Sometimes the automatic settings, especially channel selection, may be a weak one, so then another reboot may establish a different selection that may be better or worse.  Most often, this is why most people recommend/suggest manually assigning values to your 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands so that the router always stays where it is assigned.  

This does not guarantee it will stay connected to your device, as interference is usually likely culprit of disconnects (similar to dropped cell phone conversation), but normally a simple reboot of router and/or device will be needed to re-establish connection.  Good to hear your patience and persistance paid off.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102