Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unsolved
Reel Rookie

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Not sure what has happened, but I have not seen this issue for several weeks. I connect to the Internet via wireless 4G LTE modem. I used a Netgear MR1100 modem with Synology 2600 router when I first noticed this problem. I thought maybe the modem, which was over 3 years old at the time (we use over 100GB/month watching Roku) had worn out, so I bought a Chinese combo 4G LTE modem and router. My DL speed went up from a max of 10-12mbps to around 17 (it had actual screw terminals for my external antennas vs push-in ones on the Netgear). At first, I did not have the daily reboot problem. Maybe a month later it popped back up, but now it was on all devices at times, notably via WiFi. I looked at the modem/router and it was failing to lock onto the best LTE band. I tried a number of solutions via revised firmware and none fixed it. Connecting was hit or miss, mostly miss.

I ended up switching back to the old setup 2 weeks ago, and so far I think I've only had to reboot twice in that time. The best speed I've seen @ the Roku via the test was 9 mbps. I'm not able to access my Roku right now to see what firmware it is running but if I can remember to do so later I'll try to post it here.

0 Kudos
okulo
Binge Watcher

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

I have a four year old Roku Streaming Stick which I have used about 10m, a wall and a floor from the WiFi router without any problems. I bought a Roku Premiere a couple of weeks ago and it is connected to a television less than 2m from the WiFi router but it will not connect.

Needless to say, with it being only 2m from the router, it sees both my 2.4GHz networks and the signals are full strength but when I enter the password, the connection fails. I have tried everything which is generally recommended in these situations, rebooted everything, changed Wifi channel etc. I was so exasperated, I even tried a different router.

I was an aircraft radio mechanic for a decade but I didn't need ten years experience to deduce that if everything else in the house is working and the issue persists with two different routers, the problem is the Roku.

0 Kudos
Airpirate
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I never did get my Roku to function reliably on WiFi. Like so many who have posted, there has been absolutely no help from Roku. Full disclosure, my Roku Ultra works fine connected directly to the router by Cat 5 cable. For those of you who don't have that option, you might take a look at the new Google Chromecast with Google TV. It's only $50. Look at some of the reviews. Might be the answer.

0 Kudos
okulo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's funny how this thread is marked as 'Solved' with 17 pages of replies from people who have the same problem.

Anyway, I just bought a second hand Roku Streaming Stick like the one which works with my other television.

0 Kudos
Millllllll

Jump to solution

My internet works on every other device without buffering or losing connection. The roku is a constant challenge and I absolutely regret my purchase. Rebooting my device isn't working and I'm tired of doing so. Get ready for a sh*t ton of negative reviews 🙃

0 Kudos
dudubraun
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ridiculous. This issue started only a week or two ago. ALL other wireless devices in my home work fine. Only Roku has issues. Roku, this is YOU! Fix it!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
okulo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

How can Roku fix this?

If the device cannot connect to the internet, how can it get a firmware update?

0 Kudos
dudubraun
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As someone posted previously, I too ended up Chromecasting Amazon Prime from my iPhone 12 with ZERO issues AND it looked better-not even a hint of stutter or dropout. This is pathetic. I bought a Roku Premiere as my Samsung TV’s built-in apps are even worse. I might add that our TCL TV with Roku built in has zero issues, and it’s even farther from our router!

0 Kudos
okulo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

A quick update to say that I just installed a second hand four year old Roku Streaming Stick on my television (in exactly the same position as the Roku Premiere) and it works perfectly connecting straight away. The problem is obviously not my network, it is the Roku Premiere.

0 Kudos
lvcta21
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Anybody want to buy my Roku Premiere?  Roku claims it works, perfectly.

0 Kudos