Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatricD

Re: Is There something going on with rokus connecting to the internet

Ha! Saw an earlier reply that said Xfinity and Cox routers/gateways might be the problem so I disconnected from my Xfinity wifi and connected to my Netgear router (that still accesses the internet through the Xfinity gateway, but whatever) and everything suddenly works. 

0 Kudos
bnbuckeye
Channel Surfer

I used a hotspot from my galaxy s21 on Verizon 5g and still couldn't get apps to launch or function. We can use the cox contour app equivalent of the roku apps with expected speed. So it's still on the roku interface and this software update... 

0 Kudos
jjones5787
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue. Smart tv, phones, laptop, iPad all connect but the roku won’t. I even purchased a new roku thinking mine went bad. No luck. Any solutions??? 

Dal13
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issues and have noticed a ton of posts with people having the same issues and I'm trying to reach out to Roku but no way to contact the company. Very disappointed with how this is all going down

Rdaponte69
Reel Rookie

My issue is Roku Express is connected to my Netgear signal, but keeps saying “Internet download speed poor” and so I have continued, multiple interruptions. Like many other people on here, IPad, IPhone and Apple TV all work fine, no problems. I also have a Netgear 5G signal, but Roku can’t detect that at all. Perhaps that is the issue? Perhaps not? I could talk to Roku’s customer service about it…but that does not exist. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Myguitarme29
Channel Surfer

I am not sure what you are seeing, but I had the same issue at one time before I fixed it. It can scan networks it's not connected to like any phone can, etc.. Mine would connect and then disconnect constantly. I had to go into my admin settings on my internet and change it to B/G/N for 2.4 ghtz and it was ok. But it can scan and see your network and other people's networks without being able to connect. 

BrandE
Binge Watcher

Yes, there are several threads here about the update a few days ago causing all apps, with the exception of Netflix, to fail to connect to the network like there is a problem with the internet connection when there is not.

BrandE
Binge Watcher

To be more specific the Roku does connect but all apps except Netflix will not load or say there is a network issue. This occurred after an update and there is not network issue

@DBDukes wrote:

@jamim 

I'm a little confused.

... Since yesterday my device has been unable to connect to WIFI. ...

That doesn't fit with this:

... the signal strength is excellent says the device. ...

If your device won't connect, where are you seeing that the Roku device says you have excellent signal strength? I don't think it reports on networks to which is isn't connected. And if it's connected ... you see why I'm unclear on your issue?

First, stop with the factory resets, for now at least. Let's make sure we've exhausted all other avenues before doing that again.

So, let's confirm whether or not you are connected to your network. What is it that you're seeing or experiencing that indicates you aren't connected?

While we're at it, what device do you have (model number)? Settings > System > About 

Some Roku devices only support 2.4 GHz network, and some networks that are controlled by an ISP will drop 2.4 GHz connectivity, or change the settings from b/g/n to g/n. That will stop Roku from connecting on a 2.4 GHz network.

Ckraus11

I'm having the exact same issue. I can find our internet but won't connect. Did factory reset 4 times and updated and still nothing. Bought it less than a year ago.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Some of the problems reported here may be due to updates to your network router.

There are a couple of network connection problems recently being reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK, REPORTS CONNECTION QUALITY, BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's wifi connection settings from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using the b/g/n setting.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
    Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz wifi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band wifi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos