Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Y2Kween

Re: I'm getting error message 014.30 and my roku device is not wanting to connect to my internet I h

Jump to solution

I started having the same problem with both of my Roku Express. It finally connected back the other day after not connecting for two days. Was working for two more days but now it’s back to not connecting. I’ve tried EVERYTHING. It’s not my connection because all my other electronics work. I’m getting super frustrated because I just got this second Roku in August. I didn’t wanna have to buy a whole new one again if I can’t get this to work.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I'm getting error message 014.30 and my roku device is not wanting to connect to my internet I h

Jump to solution

@Y2Kween 

If you also have Xfinity, can you provide the details of what your current router settings are?

Additional things you could try are...

1. lowering the 2.4 ghz bandwidth/channel width to 20mhz

2. manually assigning the 2.4ghz channel to a number between 1 and 11 (initially try channels 1, 6, or 11) as opposed to using "Auto" under Channel.

3. verify that your mode is set to b/g/n rather than g/n.

4. try changing the network password to a simpler one avoiding special characters (#,@,&, etc)

5. From within Roku, navigate to Settings..System..Advanced System Settings...Network Connection Reset..Reset Connection).  This will restart Roku and then you will have to login to network again.

6. From within the Xfinity app, navigate to "Connected Devices" and select "Forget this device" (your Express).  This will allow router to establish new connection with your Express.

7. Restart both your router and your Roku.

Try and see if any of the above works for you and post back what worked if resolved or if you are still having issues.  Normally just restarting both your router and the Roku will resolve most issues, but if continued issues then likely need to tweak some settings as mentioned above to minimize the disconnections or re-establish wireless connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
dose

Jump to solution

This helped me with my new premiere Roku -- Thank You

0 Kudos
missjenniferd1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

thank you so much AvsGunnar, the 2 entries marked "solutions" at the beginning of the post helped me fix it!! i called comcast first to tell them to fix it, since it's a comcast modem and not a store bought one, but they said they didnt have access to fix it and neither did a supervisor, and did not tell me how i could fix it myself. however, the screenshot you provided was perfect. i logged in and changed the settings and also, my settings were in the gateway->connection->wifi->2.4ghz  as well, rather than in the advanced tab. then next i pressed edit next to the 2.4ghz and then of course somehow my settings were set to gn rather than bgn. i'm not sure how they were changed, since i used my roku just fine yesterday  and i didnt change it to gn, so somehow the settings must revert and then you have to go in and change. once i changed to bgn, everything was able to connect once again on my roku. unfortunately, i had already tried resetting my roku back to factory so  now i've get to do all that all over again. i wish i had done this first!! i wrote down the steps since comcast will probably mess me up again in the future. thank you so very much i truly appreciate your help and especially the screenshot, it was extrememly helpful.

Tags (1)
Mach5
Channel Surfer

Re: Error message 014.30 Roku Ultra device is not connecting to internet - FINALLY FIXED for me!

Jump to solution

I bought (2) new Roku Ultra units (in 2022).  They instantly connected to my Netgear R7000 router without any problems.  About a month later, I upgraded my router to an Asus RT-AX86U router & updated the firmware.  All of my OTHER devices connected instantly, EXCEPT my (2) Roku Ultras (current firmware installed).  I got the error code 014.30.  In researching this error, I found some threads and tried everything & more to connect.  Nothing worked.  

Here's what *** DID NOT *** work for me:
■ Changed SSID to use no special characters (note the SSID with special characters worked fine with my old Netgear router).
■ Changed password to use no special characters (note the SSID with special characters worked fine with my old Netgear router).
■ Disabled Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
■ Disabled "Protected Management Frames" (as another user posted)
■ Un-checked the "Auto select channel including DFS channels" (as another user posted)
■ Changed bands 2.4 & 5 Ghz 
■ Changed channels within each band
■ Re-starting Roku devices, router and modem.  Then restarting them in the correct order: modem, router, Roku. I did this MANY times.

What I discovered in the process:
■ When I REMOVED the security on my wi-fi SSID, basically a no-password connection, my Roku instantly connected!!! This led me to believe that it was something in the security settings.  So, I tried every configuration combination in the security settings with no luck.

Here's what *** DID *** work for me:
■ I factory re-set my brand-new Asus router.  But instead of separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands which I did on the first setup, I used the simple setup process which combined the 2.4 & 5Ghz bands (Asus calls this "Smart Connect" - basically your device uses whichever band is best).

In conclusion, I'm not sure if the factory reset fixed the problem and/or combining the bands did it.

AvsGunnar

Re: Error message 014.30 Roku Ultra device is not connecting to internet - FINALLY FIXED for me!

Jump to solution

@Mach5 

Thanks for posting what worked for you.  Always appreciated.

----

A number of users have had issue with Asus routers and Roku devices.  Normally, creating the open network (no password) or creating an open guest network seems to work.

Roku supposedly has found as issue which is supposed to be addressed in a future OS or build update. (As is their nature, I am sure we will just be left to guess what the true culprit is).  I believe it will have something to do with how Roku and Asus is handling the authentication encryption process.

Glad factory resetting the router worked for you -- always a good thing troubleshooting step to do, especially when addressing the normal troubleshooting steps/settings don't work. 

0 Kudos
Mach5
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Very good to hear that this fix may be on the table for Roku!  One of the recommendations was to use a Guest network.  I did try this with a previous router but I found that a Guest network will not allow my PLEX app to work since it needs to access files (movies) on my PC.  And Guest accounts, I don't believe, can access network files.  It's always something.

0 Kudos
Nottoday
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have restarted my modem reset my Roku did the fix shown in the picture and it will still not connect. Last time it did this I went out and bought a new Roku device I do not want to do that again. I have tried the old Roku again and it also will not connect. Any other ideas on how to fix the issue?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Nottoday 

what is your router model number and your ISP (internet service provider)?

Also, have you tried to connect to a mobile hotspot on the 2.4ghz band setting or alternate network (friend, family, etc.).

Suspect there is an issue with the 2.4 ghz band setup on your network if two Express devices can not connect.  Need to verify that your 2.4ghz is actually broadcasting (turned on and broadcasting) if you tried the b/g/n suggestion and still not connecting.

Nottoday
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar I'm not sure what my router model number is as the sticker got removed and I'm unsure of where else I would find it. I'm using Xfinity internet.. I have attempted to connect both devices to hotspot both on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz just to cover all bases but both devices still refuse to connect. I have also taken them to a friend's house to test them on his network and it's the same thing. They just refuse to connect 

0 Kudos