Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to fix Roku devices not finding or connecting to my home Wi-Fi

Jump to solution

It had something to do with an update, I know that much. My Express rebooted itself a couple of hours ago, and hasn't been able to see the router since.

I've reset the Roku both from the UI and using the reset switch, changed most settings on the router (channel, channel width, cipher, encryption type, etc.) and rebooted it several times, tried a spare router I have laying around, and tried entering the SSID and key manually as a "private" network. Nada.

I have 11 other wireless devices that have no trouble seeing and using the network. Neither did the Roku until a couple of hours ago when it updated. And because there's not other interface (Ethernet or USB), there's no way to re-connect if Roku comes up with a fix.

That's okay. I bought the thing a few days ago at Walmart along with another one just like it. Tomorrow they both go back. I'll buy my streaming boxes from Amazon or Apple from now on.

By the way, I'm a semi-retired IT guy and server admin. I've been doing this sort of thing since the 1970's. But it doesn't take an IT guy to know that when a device loses its connectivity immediately following an update, the odds are closed to 100 percent that the update hosed something.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

So just to rule out a hardware problem, I decided to try the second unit I bought. I was going to place it in another room that's rarely used; but since I had it, I figured I'd give it a shot in the room where I usually watch TV.

I plugged it in, and after it did its little jumping jack show, it saw and connected to the wireless network. Then it immediately downloaded the latest firmware without offering a way for me to decline it.

That was about an hour ago.

Since then, it's been in an update / boot loop / revert / boot loop / update / revert cycle.

Apparently at some point in the first boot after updating, it realizes that it has a problem, so it reboots itself several times. When that doesn't work, it seems to revert to the old firmware. But then as soon as it connects to the network again using the old firmware, it re-downloads the same bad update; and the cycle starts all over again.

So now I have two paperweights that I purchased exactly eight days ago. I'll bring them back to Wally World and get a refund. Yeah, there's probably some secret setting in there that I could use to prevent the update; but frankly, it's not worth the bother at this point. If I were billing at my regular rate, these two boxes would have cost about USD $500.00 in time already.

I'm through with Roku. These are the third and fourth boxes I have that are unusable. The other two won't allow me to install new channels on them (they only run the ones that are already installed), and these new two I was forced to buy because of that are paperweights due to bad updates.

Instead, I've ordered an Apple TV 4K streaming box with 64GB storage. It only cost me USD $179.00 with my veteran's discount. It will arrive Friday.

0 Kudos
dibartar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problems and I don't have Fios, I have Xfinity and use my own cable modem (so Xfinity couldn't have changed any settings). 

Two days ago, all Roku's worked fine.  Now 3 of my 4 Roku's can't see my home wifi.  I'm afraid to reboot the 4th one as that seems to be when most of them have lost the ability to see my home wifi.  LIke others, I am seeing every other neighbors, just not mine.  It's definitely not a distance or home router issue.  My 2.4GHz wifi network is used by at least a dozen or more other devices and all are on the wifi with no problem. 

Just to rule anything out, I did do a hard reset (paper clip) on cable modem, router, roku's... all to no avail.  This definitely seems to be tied to the Roku 9.4.0 update.  My Roku models that are currently affected are all the 3920X.  I am afraid to reboot my 3700X for fear it also will have the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The programmer in me suspects that the problem (among possible others) is happening at the settings backup stage, which is where updates in general save the existing settings so they can be applied post-update. The reason I say that is because post-update, the device can see every WiFi network except the one it was actually configured to use.

I also suspect it has to do with the SSID. I say that because it didn't connect to my spare router, which has a different OS, but the same SSID name and settings.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because it's possible that changing your wireless network's SSID to something else might enable the Roku devices to see it again. I can't check it because I've already returned the devices to Walmart. But others may be interested in giving it a try.

Note that if you change the SSID, all the other devices using the connection will have to re-associate with the router using the new SSID.

lmclain

Jump to solution

Amazing that two days ago I was using Roku with no problem. When I brought up Roku in the afternoon on 11/12/20 my internet connection was gone. Oddly enough it showed Roku had searched for an update at 10:39 am 11/12/20 but showed nothing has been downloaded since August. Did they try to upload an update that has screwed everything up? My Roku was running fine on 11/11/20. My television setting shows a strong internet connection via my CenturyLink Actiontec modem, but my Roku no longer lists my modem (shows all my neighbors, though). I have rebooted my modem and performed both soft and hard reboots of my Roku with no resolution. This is obviously a Roku problem since I have a tablet and two phones that I currently have connected to the same modem wi-fi and they are having no problems whatsoever.

Roku, get this resolved!!!!

Scarnutt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If it was an update that hosed our connectivity, how can it be fixed?  We can't receive any further updates.

sysjay
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Prior to coming here to the forum, i had for the most part done a similar diagnostic.  The 9.4.0 upgrade has bricked my Roku.

Ever since Last updated: Nov 13 02:21 am , the device has not connected nor seen my AP.

Does a factory reset resolve this?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

HDMI 1.4 supports Ethernet over HDMI, but that doesn't mean every device supports it. I kind of doubt that Roku does. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

No, a factory reset doesn't work because the device downloads the update immediately upon connecting. Then it will go into an endless loop of rebooting, reverting, re-updating, and so forth, until it finally gives up and sits there stupidly seeing every access point except yours.

As I said earlier, it may be possible to re-connect if you change the wireless network's SSID. It depends on whether the bug has to do with the SSID or the MAC address of the router's WLAN. I think it's the SSID, however; so if you don't mind re-configuring every other device on your WLAN, changing it might be worth trying. I haven't tried it myself because the idea occurred to me after I'd already returned my devices to Wally World.

If that doesn't work, all I can suggest other than switching to another manufacturer (which is what I decided to do) is wait until you know that the bad download has been fixed, and then try a factory reset. There's no point in trying it until then.

thoroc
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@GeekOnTheHil so your assumption is that the device has written the SSID config on file and that should have enabled it to reconnect automatically? But in our cases, the SSID is somewhat corrupted on the device itself?

Quick update: I took the plunge and tried changing the SSID, but that didn't allow the Roku device to pick it up at all. Robot Sad

0 Kudos