Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block a device mirroring?

Does anyone know how to use the "always blocked devices" for mirroring. My son keeps casting to the roku and shutting off shows or what ever is on. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to block a device mirroring?

What is the "Screen mirroring mode" set to?  Devices get added to the "Always blocked devices" when you get prompted whether or not to allow a device, but if you have the mode set to "Always allow" you'll never get prompted or if you've already added his device to the "Always allowed devices" list then you'll have to remove it from that list.

However, I think casting is a completely separate thing.  I don't know how to block that.  @atc98092 , @DBDukes , @makaiguy ?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

While casting is a different function from screen mirroring, to my knowledge the device blocking works for both. But I can't say that with 100% certainty. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@MI-Outdoors 

Its not clear whether your son is trying to mirror (using Miracast or AirPlay) or cast (from within an app using DIAL/AirPlay/PlayOnRoku, such as NetFlix or YouTube etc).

Roku supports Miracast (mirroring), DIAL (casting), AirPlay (casting & mirroring) and Play-On-Roku (casting).

The "Screen mirroring" settings are for mirroring using Miracast only (not for AirPlay-casting/mirroring or DIAL-casting or Play on Roku-casting)

Depending on whether is phone is iOS (Apple) or Android based, to disable mirroring (not casting) you may need to disable:

1) Screen mirroring (Android):  Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring mode = Never Allow

2) AirPlay (iOS): Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit/AirPlay = Off

To partially disable casting (third party app POR):  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps/Network access = Disabled