Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bd1
Reel Rookie

How can I use WPS to communicate the WiFi password to my Roku Ultra 4660X

Jump to solution
I want to use WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) to connect Roku to my WiFi network. I don’t see how to make the Roku Ultra accept the password with this method. My Wireless password is long and I really don’t want to type it in using the Roku remote.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: How can I use WPS to communicate the WiFi password to my Roku Ultra 4660X

Jump to solution

Thanks for the notes here. Roku doesn't support the use of WPS for wireless connections. You will need to enter your wireless network password using your Roku remote. 

Feel free to drop by the 'Suggest a feature' section of the Community any share any thoughts. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
dgrace
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If both the router and roku have wps buttons, and wps isn't disabled in the router, it will allow the roku to connect. There should be no need to input password again.

What router?

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Bd1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
I have the Linksys Velop. I have configured most of my other devices on the network using WPS from the Linksys app. My problem is that I don’t see a physical or virtual button on the Roku. What do I need to do on the Roku to put it into a mode to receive WPS?
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the notes here. Roku doesn't support the use of WPS for wireless connections. You will need to enter your wireless network password using your Roku remote. 

Feel free to drop by the 'Suggest a feature' section of the Community any share any thoughts. 

Thanks,

Tanner

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Having WPS enabled on your router is somewhat insecure.

You only should need to type it in once.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Bd1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Thanks for the information. I’m quite surprised that Roku doesn’t support WPS. It’s the perfect use case for it.
0 Kudos
Bd1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Considering that it would require physical access to my phone while it is unlocked in order to activate WPS on the router, it’s plenty secure. Typing in 40 random characters and symbols without a keyboard is a serious pain that I’d prefer to avoid.
0 Kudos
bregent
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Bd1 wrote:
Considering that it would require physical access to my phone while it is unlocked in order to activate WPS on the router, it’s plenty secure. Typing in 40 random characters and symbols without a keyboard is a serious pain that I’d prefer to avoid.

That would be a pain. Here's somewhat convoluted workaround. Haven't tested it but should work

1. Create a guest network on your router with a simple password.
  2. Connect the Roku to the guest network.
  3. Using the Roku phone app, switch to your secure network - the password will be much easier to enter on the phone's keypad
  4. Disable the guest network.
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I dont think you need to worry about it...but having WPS enabled on your router is hackable.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.

Jump to solution

That really is unacceptable.  So you are saying that we can’t use this as a second monitor for our computer?

0 Kudos