Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streambaruser
Channel Surfer

Got a new router, roku is connected but no longer working normally

Hi. We got a new router, but ever since, our roku streambar and our roku 3 only load shows occasionally when we reset the router and roku, and only for about 20-30 mins at the very most. They say they are connected to Wifi, strong signal and everything. However, they will load extremely slowly or won’t load apps at all. We have gotten several error messages, looked them up, troubleshooted, factory reset, and nothing has worked. We’ve tried experimenting with different router settings, changing the various wireless channels/bandwidths one by one (as per recommendations on this site), and in combinations, but literally nothing works. Right now it won’t let me sign into any apps (times out while loading then I get error TVAPP-00100) . We even tried unbundling our 2.4ghz Wi-Fi from the other 2 5ghz ones and making the passwords different so the roku was only running on the 2.4. This didn’t work either. Meanwhile our laptops, and Xbox in the same place will load apps and stream just fine.

Our router model is a tp link: Archer A20 and our ISP is Comcast xfinity. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Got a new router, roku is connected but no longer working normally

Hey @Streambaruser

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Have you tried changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n? Customers with Xfinity or ATT internet service providers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Streambaruser
Channel Surfer

I have, it is currently set to b/g/n, I should have mentioned that in the earlier post. We followed these instructions, and it hasn’t worked:

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Streambaruser

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting issues, have you tried connecting your Roku devices to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue. If so, there may be an issue with your wireless network that you will need to contact your ISP to see what further insight they can provide.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Streambaruser
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R  thank you for the suggestion. I have not tried a mobile hotspot, I will try that next. However, if we can stream Netflix on other Wi-Fi connected devices in the same part of the house, such as our Xbox, laptops, and tablets, do you think it still could be an ISP issue? I figured that was indicative of it being a roku issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Streambaruser
Channel Surfer

Hi again @RokuDanny-R 

I tried a mobile hotspot, and it worked (albeit slowly because of our cellular service). I called xfinity and told them that our Wi-Fi is working for all of our devices except for our Rokus and they told us we need to contact roku. I’m at a complete loss, I don’t know what else to do. There is some issue between how our Wi-Fi is communicating with our roku and there seems to be no solution. Please if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Streambaruser

Thanks for the follow up

If you are still experiencing an issue with both of your Roku devices, can you please provide the serial numbers of your Roku devices from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Streambaruser
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R @Thank you so much! Here are our serial numbers:

2A10A0070216

1GU49K071468

thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Streambaruser 

While @RokuDanny-R is looking into this for you, have you tried reactivating your Xfinity Stream Beta app on your Roku device?  (TVAPP-00101 - Xfinity Stream Error Code usually due to an activation issue).

Since the error code TVAPP-00100 is a Xfinity Stream Beta error code, and the fact that you added a new router to your network, it could just be an authentication and sync/linking issue.  From Xfinity support, seems that your Roku must be linked and activated with the Xfinity Stream Beta app before it will work properly.  Some users had reported this issue and error code occuring predominantly with RokuTVs, but would assume applicable to other Roku devices as well.

Discussion --> (https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-stream-app/error-code-tvapp00100/6145038916396f3626...)

Solution/activation procedures --> (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku?linkId=132449968)

Partner Device Faqs --> (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs)

Error Code and Accounts --> (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/tvapp00101)

----

Other discussions suggested unplugging modem and router for a couple of mins and then restarting everything, then try the activation process again.  Further troubleshooting suggested removing other devices from network to see if that resolved issue.  More for lower end routers that may be having trouble handling more than 5 connections to the Xfinity Beta Stream.  Your router is not one of these lower end models, but could help diagnose if a router performance issue. (affected by a setting or hardware issue).

Another thing to try may be to remove the Xfinity Beta Stream Channel app from your device, then perform a System Restart (Settings/System/Restart) and then reinstall the Xfinity Beta Stream Channel/app.

There are some mentions that this error code could also be triggered by an incompatible router, but did not come across a list of known incompatible routers producing this error, so this seems to just be a catch-all explanation if nothing else works. in the troubleshooting.

Just some things to try while Roku engineers are looking into this for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos