Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamham
Reel Rookie

Error Code 014.30 at Initial Setup

I just got the Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ and it won't connect to my router (AsusAX88U) regardless of the settings I use. 802.11ax is off, I'm using WPA2, and even I've tried using legacy connection settings, all to no avail. None of my other devices on my network are having issues. I always get the same 014.30 error code in the top right corner.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error Code 014.30 at Initial Setup

So are you using 5GHz or 2.4GHz?  If the latter, ensure the wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n.  If you're using the same SSID for both try splitting them into two different SSIDs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
hamham
Reel Rookie

So the device itself supports "802.11ac dual-band MIMO Wi-Fi® (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz)," but even with splitting out the channels to be separate SSIDs and switching the 2.4GHz channel to a legacy (b/g/n) setting, the error persists with connecting to either SSID.

0 Kudos
renojim

Well now I'm at a loss.  Since Roku doesn't tell us exactly what those error codes mean all we can do is try things that have worked for others.  You get the 14.30 error even when trying to connect to a 5GHz channel?  I'd say the next thing to try is to either temporarily turn off security (or use a guest network with no security) or try connecting to your phone's hotspot, if possible, just to get through the initial setup.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
hamham
Reel Rookie

So I was just playing around with this more and on my 2.4GHz channel, I had to change the encryption to WPA/WPA2-Personal with TKIP+AES, which feels quite out of date, but I guess standard for internet connected devices.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@hamham 

Rather than using WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES), are you able to use WPA2-PSK (AES).

The first one gives you more legacy compatibility, but comes with the shortcomings on WPA and TKIP.

Try determining if either the WPA2 is the issue, or if the TKIP or AES setting is the issue.  Restart both the router and the device after changing the security settings. (each time a change is made).

There may be some firmware/compatibility issue going on as any newer device has to support WPA2.  And then, AES preferred over TKIP.

Not near the computer to actually check the available security options and configurations for that Asus router, so not sure what settings are available to you.  For sure, you can eliminate WPA3 as an option.  No need to report that, as Roku is currently unable to use that protocol. 

Also, some routers use the WPA as a fallback when in the mixed security mode, so the device may actually be connecting to WPA2.  Only way to actually verify is to eliminate the non-working protocols/configurations.

Preferably, not adviseable to use WPA at all, and only using TKIP if AES is unavailable. Normally, using these will negatively affect the speed of the network, but more importantly are the security defects it can introduce to a network, potentially.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
DingleBob3899
Binge Watcher

@hamham @AvsGunnar 

You need to check your ASUS router to see if WPA2 with SHA256 is enabled as the encryption method for 2.4Ghz channel.  If so disable it and use WPA2-AES.  ROKU devices do not support the SHA256 encryption method.

0 Kudos
hamham
Reel Rookie

Thanks, @AvsGunnar, so after getting connected I was able to switch the 2.4GHz network to WPA2/WPA3-Personal with AES.

It seems like the Roku sticks are just unable to handle WPA2 w/AES encryption on setup, which is a bit weird for modern internet connected devices, but pretty standard at the same time.