Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokieDokie
Reel Rookie

Error 012 After Network Upgrade

I have a Roku TV (65R625) thats always been hardwired via ethernet. And it always worked, connected directly to my router.

Then yesterday, the network was upgraded. Now the router feeds a switch, connected to a patch panel, which is ultimately connected to the Roku TV. The ethernet receptacle in question works too—its been tested and other devices are not having issues. 

Im actually having the same issue with a Roku Ultra in a different room as well. Seems to me it has to do with the only thing that changed—a patch panel and switch being added between the router and device.

I've restarted them both multiple times, from the settings menu (System > Power > System Restart), but that hasnt worked thus far. I've also tried clearing the cache of the TV—that didnt work either.

Curious if this is a known issue. I have no idea what else to try... 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error 012 After Network Upgrade

@RokieDokie 

From the RokuTV and your Ultra, try  (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

If there is any physical culprit, I would lean more to switch setup over the patch panel. (especially if patch is just rj45 to rj45 - if knock/punchdown connection, then will need to check those)

Assuming just simple unmanaged switch in this setup.  

-----

By doing the above Connection Reset, hopefully will establish that first data transfer needed between devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RokieDokie
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 

Thanks! That didn't work.

But I ran an ethernet cable from the TV, down the steps, and to the switch. And it connected then. So the patch panel must be the issue, right?

Whats perplexing me, is that the ports Im trying to use do work for my computer. So why not Roku devices? Again, this is happening in two rooms, with two different devices, on both ports. But all four of those ports are giving my computer a live connection.

And you're correct, very simple, unmanaged network.

0 Kudos
RokieDokie
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 

I got curious so took the Roku Ultra to my office and same thing there... it wont recognize the ethernet. But my computer and printer do.

So it's been repeated in 3 rooms. All ports are live. Other devices can connect. And the Roku's can connect if they're plugged right into the switch.

This is my Patch Panel, BTW.

AvsGunnar

@RokieDokie 

You lucked out.  It is rarely, if ever the patch panel. (if cables are connected properly).  But in this case it is.  Good news is, this is the better component to have the issue. (since you can bypass if necessary)

Can you take the actual ethernet cable that is connected to the patch panel (bypass the patch) and run that cable to the switch.  (Don't use a seperate ethernet cable like you did - although that is a good test- since narrowed down the issue).  Need to determine if something is wrong with the actual ethernet cable or the jumper cable being used being patch and switch.

Don't really see any reason other than a defective cable (or if fabricated cable, a crossed wire/loose wire) causing loss of connection between panel and switch.  (Basically just a fancy junction box to hide the mess). 

Depending on how finished your space is, you can also try using that known good ethernet cable you ran down the stairs, to the patch panel, then the switch.  

------

Often times, an ethernet cable has to be severely damaged to prevent a laptop/computer from getting connection.  That is why I rarely throw them out.  It may not work on one device, but miraculously works on another.

Is this a DIY patch panel or a manufacturer?  If so, post model number in case something peculiar is going on with the connections used.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@RokieDokie 

Looking into this, I don't see a clear reason why the Roku should not be connecting "through" the patch panel.  As long as you are using cat 6 or lower cables, you should be good to go.  Did you verify the proper punchdowns. (not sure if you did it or had someone else do the setup).

It is possible that this patch panel is incompatible, but I certainly don't see why it would be.  I am always hesitant to question if someone did something improperly in the installation, but may be worth checking.

Would like to know what you find out.

0 Kudos
RokieDokie
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 

It doesn't feel like I lucked out, LOL. If I need to end up bypassing the patch panel for all three media centers that would largely defeat the purpose of doing this. 

Also, since my last post I heard back from Cable Matters, who makes the patch panel. Their response was:
We’ve never received such kind of issue. This patch panel is plug and play, there are no settings we can do. Based on your description, the only possibility is the wiring method. Please double-check if the wiring method is correct(Please pay attention to the difference between T568A and T568B).

Everything is wired T568B, BTW.

Rather than detach whats already connected to the patch panel, think Im gonna wire up a new cable and see if I get the same result. Might even borrow another punch down tool to rule that out as well.

I did try replacing the jumper cable with the same cable I used to test the Roku connection directly to the switch. Good idea there, but that wasnt the culprit either.

The plot thickens. I tested download speeds at the receptacle vs the switch and they're rather telling. The receptacles are only getting 94 MBPS, while a direct connection to the switch is at 853. When I get a chance, gonna check out the keystone jacks—starting to think they're the culprit.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@RokieDokie 

"Everything is wired T568B, BTW."

During your troubleshooting (and yes, the keystones are good place to check), try introducing a crossover jumper cable between the unmanaged switch and the patch panel on one of the Roku ports. (T568B on one end, T568A on other).

Can keep all wiring/cabling all the same if using a switch with Auto-MDI/MDIX capability.  If not equipped, then may need to use crossover cables.

0 Kudos