Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raisins99
Reel Rookie

Entering new Wifi without remote from a different Wifi

I got my Onn Roku Tv from my moms place and it was hooked and set up there for a couple years and a few more before i got it set at my new place. The remote works and lights up but will not sync right to the tv. I cant go to settings for new wifi without it. The app i need the ip that the tvs already connected to. I have a "simple" remote as they say so automatic pairing but it isn't. What is my best course to get the tv to not be only stuck on the home option

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Entering new Wifi without remote from a different Wifi

What do you mean by "the remote works and lights up"?  You can't use the app until the TV is connected to your network.  Are you using the remote that came with the TV or are you trying to use a remote from a Roku device?  Does the remote have a microphone button or a pairing button on the back or inside the battery compartment?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Raisins99
Reel Rookie

It was the remote that came with the tv. But it worked by testing the inferred lighting with a camera. I see the purpleish tinted glow from the sensor. But i did some searching and it says my remotes the "simple" model. Which uses the inferred and has less options, being no microphone or pairing buttons. I was able to read my account info and i got the tv at the end of 2019, not sure what model it is. Do have a serial number though from that. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

The “simple remote” is a remote that ships with lower-end players and has no TV controls.  Does the remote you have have “Onn” printed on it?  Infrared remotes don’t pair.  They just have corresponding code sets.  (IR code sets for Roku players and Roku TVs are different – if you have a Roku brand “simple remote” then it doesn’t have the right IR codes for a TV.)

An app won’t work until you have the device connected to your network. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The first thing to try is new batteries.  As @Strega said, IR remotes don't require any kind of pairing; just make sure you're pointing it at the front of the TV.  It's possible the remote is bad or the IR receiver in the TV is bad.  Both of those are pretty rare and since you can see the remote flash on a camera it's probably working, but still try new batteries.  If it's definitely dead then you have three options:

1. Get a replacement remote from onn
  2. Get a universal remote that supports Roku TVs
  3. Get a Roku Voice Remote from Walmart, Target, etc. or online

Accessories | Roku Player, Streaming Stick, Smart TV & Audio Accessories | Roku

The first two options won't help if it's the IR receiver in the TV that's bad.  Voice remotes require pairing before they will work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.