Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malakfun
Channel Surfer

Does Roku Express 2022 aka 3960X also (unofficially) support USB sticks on a usb otg hub ?

Hi. Since  ethernet USB adapters are now officialy supported for the latest version of Roku Express (3960), and that users who use that functionnality with combo ethernet/USB hub OTG adapters on their Roku Express+ 4K are also able to access medas on USB stick plugged in a hub port (like shown on some Youtube videos) :

Please, while this is unofficialy supported, can some Roku Express 3960 users confirm that they are actually able to read media files the same way, from a USB stick through a powered USB hub connected on the microUSB port of the player  ? Thanks

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku Express 2022 aka 3960X also (unofficially) support USB sticks on a usb otg hub ?

No one has ever reported using an adapter successfully with an Express. It's unknown if the Express models have the proper drivers for such a connection to work.

Frankly, I don't like the basic Express, as it's lacking too many features and lacks power. The Express 4K+ is a huge improvement, even if you don't have a 4K TV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
malakfun
Channel Surfer

Re: Does Roku Express 2022 aka 3960X also (unofficially) support USB sticks on a usb otg hub ?

@atc98092 : Obviously, it is because this (plausible) capability is unknown to the web that I'm asking the question here (and yes, I could test this myself but I'd like to avoid to buy and return it just for that, and if I wanted to buy the Express+ 4K, I wouldn’t bother asking, but thanks for your advice)

That's why I'm asking for a *pratical* confirmation, in adressing specifically to Roku Express 3960 users who were able to really test it to confirm if this works or not, on this *latest* version of Roku Express (since it brings some newer capabilities that had the Express+ 4K, like its USB Ethernet support that I mentionned, which suggests that there could be more to it, like possibly USB storage support).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I would expect any device that supports the USB Ethernet adapter to also support USB storage devices. The 3960 is so new that the Wiki page doesn't mention it yet. I looked it up on the Roku developer documentation site, and I see it's using the same processor as the Express 4K+, the Ultra, and the latest Streaming Stick. That would make it extremely likely to support a USB storage device, as those others do. The only difference they note in their documentation is no 4K support, less operating memory and the home user interface is only 720p instead of 1080p. The lower memory is the only possible difference that I would think have any impact on USB device usage. And I doubt it would.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
malakfun
Channel Surfer

@atc98092: thanks for looking into dev documentation, good to know that recent versions of Roku players have the same processor in common, which indeed makes USB drivers similarities very plausible (like the now official ethernet support for latest entry-level Express that I mentioned initially)

Now, I reiterate my request : can any Roku Express 9360 user, who use or could test this possible feature, confirm that its player actually supports USB storage (through powered hub) ?

0 Kudos