Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dorjeg

Re: Connection drops every couple day and I have to reboot my router.

This is happening to me too. 3930x Roku express. Have done what was said here except channels, my router doesn't offer a choice there. The Roku worked fine last week. This drops everyday though

0 Kudos
Lcrumhan

I am having the exact same issues identified. We have to reboot our Router and the Roku device every couple of days. It is frustrating…the company doesn’t seem to care based on the replies. 

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @Lcrumhan

We're here to help!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tiburonel

I have the problem with three different rokus in use in home. They are more recent roku 4s. Once a month I must reboot my router.  The old  Roku 3 I am using, two of them, never have the problem. Do I need to junk the more recent rokus and use my old Roku 3’s? 

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Tiburonel 

First, check if there are any differences between the Roku 3 and your Roku 4 devices. (basically, check to see if they are connecting to different bands).

On each of the devices, navigate to Settings...Network...About.

Note the IP address, Gateway, Wireless Channel and Signal Strength.  (Other than the IP address, the other values should be the same between all your devices if connected to same network, same band)

The Roku 3 is a/b/g/n capable and may be connecting to your 2.4ghz band.  The Roku 4 is a/b/g/n/ac capable and may be connecting to your 5ghz band and actually may be a wireless channel issue.

Both of these devices are dual band so capable of connecting to either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band.

Note the values above and report back if you see any differences, specifically the Channel numbers your are seeing.  Also include your router model number and ISP (internet service provider).  Hopefully, just a simple configuration issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

I have this same problem  and with this many people  having THAT problem  I think it's BS  that they don't know what we are talking about.  They just CAN'T fix it.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Joeladamford

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue? Have you tried rebooting your wireless network?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue occur?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
r0kuisThebe5t
Reel Rookie

Dude. Let me spell it out for you: Our network is NOT the problem. Our settings are NOT the problem. Distance from the router is NOT the problem (mine is 2 ft away). The problem is that every day - or in my case several times an hour - the Roku device drops its WiFi connection and cannot reconnect without a system restart. It has been happening with greater frequency as time goes on. There is no rhyme or reason for it outside of a device issue. Therefore, rather than telling everyone exactly that which they already know and have tried, give us something that actually addresses the problem, or at least acknowledge there is a problem rather than trying to avoid creating evidence for the necessity of a recall due to a faulty product.