Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RSIGNS
Reel Rookie

Connection drops every couple day and I have to reboot my router.

Jump to solution

This is a systemic problem with Roku. Pushing the issue to the network seems to be the canned response. No other device in my household, and there are plenty, do not have this issue. If it was related to 2.4 Ghz bgn, then it would not connect properly to begin with. The roku 4's are compatible with 5 ghz, I moved it to this frequency to try and resolve - same problem, after 24 hrs or so, I go through the process of hard booting my router and then the roku and hope it works on the first try. Preferred channels??? That is 20 years ago. DHCP leases are not expiring. It might resolve with a release and renew, but do I really want to do that everytime? Its a fimware or hardware issue with the devices. They need to own up to it, or they will keep putting out **bleep** product.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarrotNinja
Reel Rookie

Re: Connection drops every couple day and I have to reboot my router.

Jump to solution

Just wanted to post another follow-up update. It's been about a month now since my initial post and I have not had another disconnect since updating my router 2.4Ghz broadcast from g/n to b/g/n. Hopefully this may help anyone else experiencing these issues.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I own 2 westinghouse Roku TVs and one sharp Roku TV. Plus I have a smart sound bar that all of the devices are connected wireless. I have not ever had to reboot my router a single time to get anything to connect. I have been a Roku buyer for last 4 years. Perhaps, your ISP's router is to blame. I have been with Verizon FIOS for a while and I always upgrade my router when ever a new wireless protocol comes out. When I had a wireless 5 AC no issues from my isp I upgraded to wireless 6 AX, because that router was available and I plan to upgrade my router when wireless 7 is release in the future. What kind of router do you have and who is your ISP?

0 Kudos
r0kuisThebe5t
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@OwnerofDeviceswrote:

Perhaps, your ISP's router is to blame.

Not likely. I own my own modem/router. It's a Motorola MG8702. The updates are backported through DOCSIS, so there isn't even a matter of choice involved (which is a whole other gripe). Additionally, the problem was present on both Comcast and Wow, so it isn't ISP specific.

0 Kudos
RSIGNS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a new TV with on-board OEM WIFI and Roku software.  Zero issues. Sticks - nothing but issues.  boot, boot, reboot, reboot, boot etc.    Its likely a firmware problem on the plug-ins.  Roku management needs to own up it and remove the level 1 support script. "can you give me more information", click network..." blah blah blah.  It creates nothing but wasted time and animosity with their customers.  I cant image the resolve rate is higher than 10 -20%.  Just own up to it and get to work on fixing the problem.

Benedlr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Same problem several times a day watching streaming channels. 'Check connection' shows no internet but information on the guide is feeding. I reset to 2.4 on my wireless network and it still happens. Finally did a factory reset with all the pain that involved and that fixed it. Just another glitch in those wonderful updates.

0 Kudos
CarrotNinja
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Did you factory reset your router or your Roku?

I am having this exact same problem with a plug-in Roku device I bought about 3 months ago. Right out of the box it had this issue before I could ever even get it to connect the 1st time, had to reboot my router. Now it will stay connected for a couple of days, but then it goes back to not connected and I have to restart my router and Roku sometimes several times before it will connect.

I agree with the others that have posted that this seems to be some sort of Roku device issue that is only affecting their plug-in models, but I'm not sure if all models are affected. Mine is the 3920X. I say this is a Roku device issue because myself and others here all have other devices that are connected via WiFi that are not having issues. So while there may be a fix that involves adjusting router settings, the fact that so many people are having this issue with only their Roku is clearly an engineering problem.

I did check my router settings and my router is broadcasting both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency bands but based on some further research I think the 3920X only supports the 2.4Ghz band. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that this is the crux of the problem. I'm no engineer but I did do tech support at an ISP for 10 years. I know that the 2.4Ghz frequency is great at going long distances and punching through solid objects which is perfect for a device that you want to work well in all areas of your home regardless of where your router is located. The downside however is that 2.4Ghz runs at a much slower speed than 5Ghz and is much more prone to interference.

It's that second part of the problem which I believe is why support is directing you all to play around with your router's channels. The issue could be that your router is auto-assigning a heavily used channel that some of your neighbors may be using. So to mitigate this problem you can force your router to broadcast only on specific channels but you may have to play around with what channel works best for you. Not everyone is going to have the same interference around them and some may have too much interference for a 2.4Ghz device to work well at all. This may also help explain why rebooting the router helps fix the problem because that may result in the router using a clearer channel upon reboot if it is auto-assigning the channel.

On an interesting note, rather than rebooting my router this time I instead logged in and updated my 2.4Ghz broadcast from g/n to b/g/n and that allowed my Roku to connect. It's possible that may have just caused it to "reboot" internally that specific broadcast which then selected a better channel so I'm curious to see if that alone fixes the problem for good. If not I'll try playing around with the channels and forcing it to only broadcast on select channels to see if that makes a difference. My other thought since wireless b is an older slower standard is that the device is switching to wireless b in an attempt to negotiate a poor connection. So if it does help, that may be a good fix to alleviate connection problems on a congested channel.

In conclusion if my theory about this all being related to the 2.4Ghz band is true then this is really just a poor choice by Roku to make a device that doesn't also support 5Ghz frequencies which are much more forgiving to network interference and capable of much faster speeds so long as you keep the device close to your router. Prettymuch anyone living in a large apartment building is going to have an absolutely flooded 2.4Ghz band.

0 Kudos
r0kuisThebe5t
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have my router broadcasting 5 and 2.4 on two different SSIDs instead of enabling band steering. If it were just a problem of 2.4 vs 5, then connecting to either one would solve it. I've also adjusted the channels several times by using a scanner to find the one with the least interference. The problem never, ever gets resolved by restarting the router. The problem only gets resolved by restarting the Roku device. So, no matter how you slice it, the Roku is doing something that it shouldn't. As I write this, I'm beginning to suspect assigning it a static, local IP might do the trick. I'll post here if it works.

0 Kudos
CarrotNinja
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's been about a week now since my initial post and so far my Roku (3920x) is holding strong and has not disconnected from WiFi. Previously I was needing to reboot the device and my router about every 1-3 days. Basically the only real change I made to my network was to switch my router's broadcast setting for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n.

I suspect what the device tries to do is if it has trouble negotiating the connection on one of the higher speeds like G (54 Mbps) or N (450 Mbps) it goes back to B (11 Mbps). However if B is not available it just can't negotiate the connection with a higher speed if there is a lot of traffic or noise on the channel it is trying to use.

0 Kudos
CarrotNinja
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just wanted to post another follow-up update. It's been about a month now since my initial post and I have not had another disconnect since updating my router 2.4Ghz broadcast from g/n to b/g/n. Hopefully this may help anyone else experiencing these issues.

0 Kudos
KTM21Duker

Jump to solution

Agreed.  The question/suspicion I had was whether the internet provider (AT&T in my case) has an algorithm to inject a service disruption.  I wouldn't be surprised but not sure how that benefits them except maybe it keeps more traffic/subscriptions using their services when people get so frustrated, they give up on Roku.

0 Kudos