Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

Re: Connect to Wifi without internet uplink

It might be more appropriate to start a new topic, but I'll start here.

Several people have said they have used Jellyfin as a server.  I am currently using WMP as my DLNA server, but would like to explore other options.  I just tried Jellyfin on the same Windows system that is currently running WMP as my server, and it didn't seem to work at all.  Support for Jellyfin as a DLNA server is basically non-existant.  I have lots of experience with Computers and Networking, and could dig into this more, but it would be a useful short-cut for me (and others) if someone who has successfully installed Jellyfin on Windows would tell us all exactly what steps they took to do it.

If / when I have a working set-up I could probably help with the network issues.

I've tried Plex and other software as the DLNA server, and didn't care for them much.  I especially don't like Plex because of all of the "snooping" it does, basically reporting everything to do so somebody , somewhere.  Jellyfin is supposed to be able to work without doing that, though when I tried setting it up I had to uncheck a slew of options to tell it not to go out onto the network to look up stuff I didn't need.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@BartZLederman I don't believe Jellyfin is a DLNA server. It requires using the Jellyfin channel/app on your Roku. Plex is another that has their own Roku channel, although DLNA can be enabled on a Plex server (it's off by default). I use Serviio as my DLNA server (disclosure: I am the author of the Roku profiles included with Serviio, but I don't work for them). 

WMP works as a basic DLNA server, but is lacking in several areas. I recommend using almost anything else than WMP. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

Jellyfin does say it is a DLNA server.  It shows up in the application in the documentation and server columns, and there are one or two settings.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/networking/dlna/

There is also a discussion about DLNA problems.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/1322

Unfortunately, this discussion doesn't really help with setup or diagnosis much.  It does to some extent talk about the network problems, but it's two years old.

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK. I did install Jellyfin a couple of weeks ago on my test server, and I know it isn't appearing in RMP as an available DLNA server. I just assumed it wasn't DLNA, but it must be a setting somewhere in there.

Dan

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@atc98092 

I wonder if it may not be RMP blocking the availability of Jellyfin as DLNA server. (showing as available DLNA source under Media Device).

I know they did it with Kodi, and then I had a workaround which I could still get to work/show up as available DLNA.  Then that availability also disappeared. (I kind of think in the OS 10 update time).

If I remember correctly, I think RMP also stopped showing my Plex server as available through RMP and had to start going through the Plex channel/app instead directly.

----

Has been awhile though since I messed with any of these setups though and really was just more to see what could be done rather than actually setting up any dedicated media server to use with Roku.  

Maybe will try a Jellyfin server install tonight and dust off some cobwebs.  Will be on a Linux source but at least should provide some info as to whether RMP will at least recognize it as a DLNA source.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, RMP still shows my Serviio DLNA servers without an issue. And there hasn't been any update to RMP for a year now. Most of the most recent updates were all focused on music playback. There hasn't been any updates to the video side of RMP that I can remember for almost two years. I have no idea what Roku is doing with it any longer. 

Dan

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Ok, did a quick Jellyfin install.  

I just had to go into the Jellyfin Administration Dashboard (select the little user icon and select Administration, then Dashboard) and select "Enable DLNA Server" for the Jellyfin server to become visible in the RMP (Roku Media Player).  Looks like it may be disabled by default, at least with my install setup.

Content loaded fine and played fine. (The content I used was a mix of mkv and mp4).

I did an install on both an Ubuntu based distro, and an Arch-based distro and both installed similarly and had the same setup. (ie. had to enable DLNA server in both instances).  

Administration/Dashboard/Devices/DLNA

@atc98092 , perhaps you can see if the same setting is available via Windows and works for you as well.

Have to say, I kind of like its presentation through the RMP.  I didn't mess with the metadata info settings during the install so some are a little screwy (ie. completely wrong) from the db, but looks nice and the content played which I guess is the important part.

If I kept a Media Server actually running, I think I would certainly consider Jellyfin.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also had to open port 8096 tcp Inbound on my firewall as well for the Jellyfin server. (both to allow the Roku RMP to see the server as well as for other network devices to access the server).

And using the standalone Jellyfin channel/app also worked nicely.  https://channelstore.roku.com/details/cc5e559d08d9ec87c5f30dcebdeebc12/jellyfin   So looks like two options available to users to use the server setup. (RMP and Jellyfin channel).

----

Click on images to enlarge.

Jelly_1.png.Jelly_2.png

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos