Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottkeen
Binge Watcher

Check WAN IP address (no, not LAN IP) from Roku?

I need to check my WAN IP address from my Roku (no, not the LAN IP).

I have two Internet connections setup on my gateway, I have my PC traffic over the primary Internet connection and my streaming devices (Roku) are supposed to go over the secondary Internet connection.

I'm assuming it's working but I'd like to know for sure by checking the WAN IP address from my Roku to make sure it's connecting on the secondary Internet connection through the gateway.

The Speedtest private channel used to work on the Roku, but early this year Roku prevented private channels from working or being installed. Is there another channel that will show me the WAN IP address from my Roku?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Check WAN IP address (no, not LAN IP) from Roku?

Well, it is also important to check your router.

~ Jordan 

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
scottkeen
Binge Watcher

As you're mentioning my router...

I have 2 WAN interfaces setup on the router. I'm troubleshooting my custom routing rules and need to verify the Roku is using the secondary WAN interface by checking from the Roku device itself. If I could see what the WAN IP is from the Roku device itself (not the router), that will tell me what I need to know.

My router is a SonicWALL TZ 270 firewall. I have 2 WAN interfaces on it, one is on the X1 interface and the other on the U0 interface. I have a custom routing rule that says all my streaming device static LAN IPs are supposed to route through the secondary WAN interface (U0) and other devices route through the primary WAN interface (X1). I also have Failover and Load Balancing rules so that if the primary WAN interface (X1) is down, all devices route through the secondary WAN interface (U0).

One of my devices I use for streaming (iPad) is routing through the secondary WAN interface (U0) on the router, as expected.

But one of my other devices I use for streaming (Android) is routing through the primary WAN (X1) on the router, which is not expected.

I need to know what the Roku is routing through.

So I'm troubleshooting.

Simply, my bottom line question: How can I check the WAN IP from the Roku device itself to verify which WAN interface it's using?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm not aware of any way to do that through any menu, although it is available to developers through the DeviceInfo interface.  I would think you could figure it out through the router logs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@scottkeen 

Easiest method when setting up multiple WAN (and WAN interfaces), is to use different subnets so one can look at the device LAN IP (Roku device IP address from Settings/Network/About) and know which WAN it is assigned to.  Can be verified then by pinging with a device on the same subnet.  If using a laptop/phone on said subnet, can then also use an online IP test (3rd party like ipleak.net or speedtest.net).  You can then logically assume all devices connected and communicating on that subnet are using the assigned WAN IP address, especially if responded to ping.

There are also command line and terminal commands you can use depending on your preferred OS but above method is probably the easiest.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102