Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jpc56
Reel Rookie

Changed WiFi password and can not connect badk

I have recently changed the password to my WiFi and am now unable to connect to the WiFi on 4 of my Roku devices, I use the app  on my phone for all of them to control the device, I can no longer connect to my device thru the app bc the roku is not connected to a WiFi server 

4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Changed WiFi password and can not connect badk

@Jpc56 

Just to clarify, have you tried going to Settings/Network/Setup Connection and enter the new password there. (Roku may be trying to connect with old password).

----

If you have tried the above, try going to Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection on your Roku devices which will clear out old settings and prompt you for the new credentials. (again, from Settings/Network/Setup Connection).

----

If the above does not work, try using a simpler password (shorter, and with no special characters) to see if the chosen password is actually causing the issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

renojim

@Jpc56, if you changed your Wi-Fi password you can't use the app on your phone to update it on your Roku devices.  You can only use the app if your Roku is already connected to your network and once you changed the Wi-Fi password your Roku devices are no longer connected.  You will need a real remote or use the multi-device method that I'm sure @makaiguy will be more than happy to provide.  🙂

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jpc56
Reel Rookie

Okay thanks

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Jpc56-

Did I hear my name?

This method is complicated, but if you really need it …

You will need ALL of these:

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.

-- Knowledge of the former network name (SSID) and password that the Roku is currently configured to use.

-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1.) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.

2.) After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When the Roku starts up it should connect to the hotspot and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.

If it won't connect you're done.  You will need a remote.

3.) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

4.) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

5.) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network, using the new network's SSID and password.

6.) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).

7.) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

8.) The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

This should work, in theory, but I don't think anybody has reported back whether it did or didn't work for them. If you decide to try this, please report back how it worked, either way.

I'd still suggest acquiring a compatible remote if only to make it much easier to recover if your Roku ever drops its network connection and needs to be reconnected without going through all these shenanigans.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X