Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bentleybob

Can you change to a different WIRED network?

Jump to solution

I have added a second wired network and I want to change access over to the new one, but Roku sees the original one and automatically logs into it.  I cannot seem to disconnect the original network (still working on that) but is there any way to change it without first disabling the original?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Can you change to a different WIRED network?

Jump to solution

@bentleybob  When you plug something into an Ethernet port using a cat5 cable you don’t have to enter a password. Passwords are for WiFi. Your Roku should have the option to reset the network connection. You can try that. But Ethernet does not require a password. Actually there isn’t even one on your modem/ router sticker. If you have a cat five wire going from one specific router straight into your Roku then it’s using that specific router. It’s a physical connection

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have moved many devices from one wired network to another. I do it by pulling out the wire from one and plugging in the wire from the other. Are you doing something else?

0 Kudos
bentleybob

Jump to solution

No, not doing anything different but the new network has a different password and this doesn't prompt me to enter it but says I'm connected to the internet.  Makes zero sense I know, which is why I want to be able to specify the network SSID rather than have it automatically connect (and not tell me to what network it's connecting to).

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

SSID of a wired network??? 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@bentleybob  When you plug something into an Ethernet port using a cat5 cable you don’t have to enter a password. Passwords are for WiFi. Your Roku should have the option to reset the network connection. You can try that. But Ethernet does not require a password. Actually there isn’t even one on your modem/ router sticker. If you have a cat five wire going from one specific router straight into your Roku then it’s using that specific router. It’s a physical connection

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@bentleybob  So now you have 2 routers? 2 modems? Exactly what is your new setup? 

0 Kudos
bentleybob

Jump to solution

Well that would certainly explain why it's not asking for a password.  Thanks.  As you can maybe tell, I'm no network engineer ...

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@bentleybob 

When you are connected to ethernet, you will not be prompted for a SSID or password. (These are wifi/wireless requirements).  A wireless device needs permission to join a network.  A wired connection assumes permission was granted/implied when you plugged it in.

Are you trying to use 2 routers to access the internet through the same WAN (internet connection), or do you have 2 seperate WAN?  Depending on this, normally have to configure your routers differently.

Edited:  See you have received responses while I was typing.

You can certainly add additional routers to a single Internet Connection (WAN) and create multiple networks.  Just need to configure some settings correctly to avoid issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos