Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashaktoms

Can’t get Roku to join WiFi at camp with no internet.

I have previously used a Roku box (2 maybe?) on an isolated WiFi network (good wifi, but no internet access) to access a local Plex and Jellyfin server. When I join the wifi I get a green check in the wireless check, and a red x in the internet check as expected, but the Roku stays connected to the wifi and I can use the streaming apps on the local network.

We have recently upgraded to a new TCL Roku TV, and it won’t work! Once the wireless fails on the internet check, the TV disconnects from the network entirely (no ip), so then of course the apps can’t see the media servers. I get an “unable to connect to the internet” screen with a Error 009.

So, my question is, what’s the difference? Both units are running software version 11. So is there some secret setting to make it ignore that it can’t get online? How to I make my tv stay connected to my internet-less wifi? Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can’t get Roku to join WiFi at camp with no internet.

My Roku app is saying the same thing. I’m connected to the wifi but it’s still not working.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Can’t get Roku to join WiFi at camp with no internet.

@ashaktoms @Jadaarianne1

Thanks for the posts.

If you are connecting a public wireless network, we would recommend using the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature on your Roku device. Please be aware that in order to use this feature, your Roku device will need to be activated already.

For more information about how to use this feature, visit our Support page here: Hotel & Dorm Connect

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos