Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanlevans
Channel Surfer

Re: Can't connect to Xfinity

Jump to solution

No. it's an issue with Roku, not xfinity.

0 Kudos
seanlevans
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

How do you get the xfinity username/password to pop-up, if you're connected to the Roku which doesn't have an internet connection? My phone shows that it is connected to the Roku, I select hotel/dorm setting on my Roku tv; however, I'm never prompted on my phone to enter my xfinity username/password details. Can you please add step by step instructions to make it more clear? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@seanlevans 

Normally, the Roku device has to be successfully activated on a network before being used in a Hotel/Dorm mode.

This can be a little tricky if you are actually in a hotel or dorm because of how the network may be setup.

If you have previously activated your Roku, then the Hotel/Dorm Mode should allow to connect successfully/properly.

If you have never activated your Roku before, then you can try directly connecting to your hotspot and going through the activation process (setting up email address, payment info, etc). 

If the above is the case and you can successfully connect to your hotspot, then try factory resetting the RokuTV,  connect to your hotspot, and proceed with activation.  After you have successfully activated your account, then you "should" be able to connect to Hotel/Dorm mode.

https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

seanlevans
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply. I had previously connected my Roku to my home network and now trying to connect to the wifi hotspot in a dorm. It didn't work. I then tried factory resetting and starting with xfinity wifi hotspot, but still not working. I'm never prompted by the Roku device to enter my xfinity username and password. This is the problem. Roku please add a web browser so that this can be fixed. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@seanlevans

Thanks for the post.

If you are trying to connect your Roku device to a hotspot, you would not need to use the Hotel & Dorm feature, but rather connect the device normally as if it were a home wireless network.

Since you factory reset your Roku device, when prompted to connect to a wireless network, are you selecting your hotspots and authenticating with your network password?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we can continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spike202

Jump to solution

when i turn on my xfinity my channel it goes in and not it say having wrong steaming i have 4 roku tv

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Spike202

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Davestcltv

Jump to solution

I believe the issue here is the mechanism my Roku device (a 55" TCL Roku-embedded TV) has for dealing with a "splash screen" to authenticate specifically on the xfinitywifi hotspot network.

When you connect any device to xfinitywifi, you connect, but then must authenticate with userid and password, usually via a browser that redirects on startup (usually) to a sign-in screen with xfinity.  You put in your xfinity userid and password, and the router (?) associates the userid/password and the wireless MAC address, to let you through to the internet.

On the Roku, you "simulate" this browser-login step by selecting "dorm" in the Roku, which pops up a screen of instructions.  Those instructions have you connect a device (phone, laptop) TO THE ROKU, as if the Roku is a router, using the given SSID.  You give a password, then, once connected (to the Roku, not the xfinitywifi domain) you are "supposed" to be served up a screen on your browser from which you "login" to xfinity.

I did that about a year ago.  Worked fine for a year.  Now it says I'm "connected" to xfinitywifi, but there is no internet.  Every app (Netflix, Prime) says the same thing:  no internet.

When I reset my network connection (advanced menu in Roku) and try to set a NEW connection, and pick "dorm," is often doesn't work, but sometimes does, and gives me the screen of instructions to connect your device TO the Roku.  But that lasts about 5 seconds, and then the Roku says "connected" without giving you an opportunity to authenticate.  I've twice gotten as far as having a phone or laptop connect to the DIRECT-roku-xxxx wifi SSID, and open a browser.....and.....NOTHING.  Can't find anything that prompts the Roku to present the screen to let me authenticate.  Very frustrating.  

I think the problem is in the coding of the Roku to deal with the "open" websites that require splash-screen authentication via a browser.  Doesn't seem to work reliably.

What I did, first, was download connectify on my laptop and have the laptop connect to xfinitywifi, and the Roku connect to the laptop "shared" wifi connection.  Then I learned that I don't need connectify or any other application, because Windows lets you have a shared hotspot, which I turned on instead.  Same function as a shared wifi connection THROUGH my laptop, but just part of Windows.  That, so far, seems to work, whereas I can't get the Roku to authenticate like a did a year ago.  (And my roku software is up to date).

0 Kudos
calebgroup
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

I have three ROKUs in my house and can use none of them for some reason. Roku refuses to connect to my home network.  Is there an issue with Xfinity or do I need to purchase FireTV?

Gil

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@calebgroup 

Can certainly buy Firetv, people seem to like them.

However, most users have found that changing the wireless mode to b/g/n under their 2.4ghz settings have resolved their connection issues.

Instructions below.  Restart Router and Roku devices after changing the mode.

(Xfinity / Comcast → ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ) with a walkthrough ( https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102