Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Both Roku devices stopped working same time. Won't connect to wireless, but hotspot works?

@LukeGrimit There are settings somewhere in your router to control the radios and channels, but I can't say exactly where they are. Comcast might be hiding some of them from you. I have never had cable Internet, so I can't say what the settings are labeled and where they can be found. It might require contacting Comcast and asking them to make the changes, or permit you access to those settings. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
LukeGrimit
Channel Surfer

Re: Both Roku devices stopped working same time. Won't connect to wireless, but hotspot works?

89F080D0-6BEF-4CCD-B586-5128F30B8C0C.jpeg

This is the only thing it lets me edit in 2.4 I we’ll look into seeing if they have to give us the permissions 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@LukeGrimit 

Saw your other posting re: RokuTV.  (https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Internet-Problems/m-p/699317#M16419)

Not sure if you tried  @makaiguy suggestion yet regarding rebooting both your router and your TV.  Your RokuTV should be able to connect to both your 2.4 or 5ghz wifi band connections.  From your posted screenshot of your 2.4ghz configuration, try lowering the Bandwidth/Channel Width to 20Mhz from the 40Mhz it is displaying.  (Hopefully, once you make a selection, that "Apply" button will become active.  If it remains greyed out, then Xfinity is preventing changes.).  Reboot your modem/router and Roku after this change.  Then navigate to Roku Network Connection Settings and press Scan Again a few times to refresh the available networks.   As @atc98092 mentioned previously, you can also try changing that 2.4ghz Channel 1 to 6 or 11 also. (Reboots don't hurt here as well, but are "usually" unnecessary when simply changing wireless channels).

Additionally, verify that your 5ghz wireless channel is set to either 36-48, or 149-161. It is possible that if you are using the same SSID (network name) for both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands (merged network), your router is attempting to steer the RokuTV to your 5ghz band but your 5ghz is using an unsupported/incompatible w/Roku channel (52-140).  Normally, the router should then direct devices to the 2.4ghz connection if unable to connect , but some have trouble doing so.   See if you can verify that the 5ghz is using a supported channel similar to how you accessed the 2.4ghz settings.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
dsalpha_18
Reel Rookie

Please first check your cable modem or wireless gateway router logs for attacks. If your network have been attacked or it is sending out pings without your authorization, your network has been hacked. If the logs are not setup correctly, forget it and move to next step.  

Disconnect all equipment from the network and turn off everything except the equipments you need to troubleshoot. Trouble shoot the equipments one by one until you find a solution.

Reset 1 roku to factory settings by using instructions from support, set it up following prompts and try wirelessly connecting it to your cellphone by hotspot. If it connects and sets up with no problems, its your router or PC that is causing the problem. You should back up the settings, reset the router back to factory settings and reconfigured the router from scratch. if you already have a backup copy of the settings it would make the entire process faster. This type of attack is called denial of service attack. If you see attacks in your router or cable modem logs, please contact your ISP immediately. (New type of attack is wifi based, it would help if you turn off the wifi function during troubleshooting and only turn it on when you need it, or bring it to a location that is far from your current location.) 

For equipment troubleshooting, please bring it to a trust worthy computer technician to find the solution. Everyone is different, its better than wasting time to try to fix it yourself then get attacked or reinfected again. 

Most routers supplied by ISPs are not secure against the wifi hacks, unless a new patch has come out to patch the issue. In the mean time, if possible, turn off wifi and use cat5e cat6 cables to connect to the internet. 

0 Kudos
RedBear

The same thing happened here, it sees the network but won't connect, but it'll connect to my Hotspot. With so many people having issues, this isn't a router issue, it's a roku issue and needs to be fixed. 

0 Kudos
LukeGrimit
Channel Surfer

Thankyou fixed it awhile ago

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@LukeGrimit 

Am I missing where you posted what fixed it for you?  May be helpful for others experiencing similar issue, or give them an avenue to try.  Updates, especially resolutions to issues are always appreciated! 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

I can connect to Netflix and other channels. But HBOMAX disconnects every single time what is going on?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @skittles5448

Thanks for the post.

Do you receive any error code or message when accessing HBO Max? In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

• Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

If you are still experiencing the issue from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can reach HBO Max Support here: https://help.hbomax.com/

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos