Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Victoriapoteet8
Channel Surfer

Both Roku Premieres will not connect to WiFi

So both my Roku premieres will not connect to my WiFi. My laptop, phone and tablet hooks up to my WiFi just fine. I contacted my internet provider (Xfinity) and they assured me it’s not on their end. Said everything’s working fine and hasn’t been changed. One of my Rokus is not even a year old yet. Can someone help me out with this or perhaps give me a number I could speak to live Roku customer service rep! Thank you so much! Kids are driving me nuts wanting the tv to work 🤦🏻‍♀️

7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Both Roku Premieres will not connect to WiFi

@Victoriapoteet8-

There are a couple of network connection problems recently being reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.  These have been around long enough that Xfinity support SHOULD be familiar with them ...

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
    Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz wifi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band wifi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Victoriapoteet8
Channel Surfer

I contacted my internet provider and told them this and they told me that everything is still the same and the issue is not on there part. I factory reset one of my Rokus and now it’s stuck on the choose your network as it will not connect to wireless. The other Roku says it’s connected to internet but won’t play anything 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Victoriapoteet8

Thanks for the post.

What specific Roku model number are you currently using. In addition, who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Victoriapoteet8
Channel Surfer

Where do I find the model number to provide?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Victoriapoteet8,

Thanks for the follow-up.

If your Roku player is in use and it is connected to your TV, you can open the Settings menu using the steps below to find the model number as well as other information.

1. Press Home home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select About

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your needs. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Victoriapoteet8
Channel Surfer

A1DA9711-E5DC-43DE-BBDA-30404644B6F1.jpeg

I have two of these Rokus and neither one will work 😭 pls help my internet provider is xfinity and I have contacted them and they said everything on that end is working fine. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Victoriapoteet8,

Thanks for reaching back.

Please note that you have the Roku Premiere (3920x) and it is a single-band wireless device which means it only supports a 2.4 GHz connection. Your Roku Roku Premiere (3920x) will not recognize the 5Ghz network. You need to make sure that your 2.4 GHz network is active by using your mobile phone and checking if you can detect the 2.4 GHz network.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos