Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ripdrinto

AirPlay on Dorm Wi-Fi/Large Shared Network?

Jump to solution

I tried multiple times resetting my Roku TV, turning my iPhone on and off, playing around in the AirPlay/Homekit settings screen, but my TV can't be detected on my AirPlay menu on my phone.  When using the Homekit QR code on my TV, my iPhone's Homekit app loads for minutes, but eventually says that it can't find the device.

I'm wondering if my TV can't be found because I am connected to a dorm network.  More info: while I'm connected to dorm Wi-Fi, the way the network is set up, it didn't require me to log in through "hotel or dorm" settings.

Help, please! Super desperate.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: AirPlay on Dorm Wi-Fi/Large Shared Network?

Jump to solution

Yes - its likely using AP/Client isolation, preventing different devices from accessing others.

Try getting a mini router that you connect your devices to (wired and wireless) and then connect that device to the school's network (your devices will be on a mini LAN/WLAN, and will be able to access each other).

Temporarily you may be able to use your phone as a HotSpot and connect (tether) your Roku TV to it and AirPlay to the TV.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes - its likely using AP/Client isolation, preventing different devices from accessing others.

Try getting a mini router that you connect your devices to (wired and wireless) and then connect that device to the school's network (your devices will be on a mini LAN/WLAN, and will be able to access each other).

Temporarily you may be able to use your phone as a HotSpot and connect (tether) your Roku TV to it and AirPlay to the TV.

0 Kudos
ripdrinto

Jump to solution

Perfect!  Thank you so much.  Tethering worked.  I'm now seeing if personal routers are allowed.

It was throwing me off that the Roku mobile app was working for me but AirPlay wasn't.

0 Kudos
caimai0112

Jump to solution

Hi! I know this is super late but I was having this issue recently. 

You can actually go into the airplay settings now and turn it off. I don't know if it was updated by Roku or Apple since you posted!

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@caimai0112 

I think you misunderstood the issue for the OP - the ability to turn AirPlay on/off in the Roku wasnt the issue, but rather getting the phone and the Roku to communicate/connect via AirPlay.

FYI, the ability to turn AirPlay off has always been available since AP functionality was added to Roku devices.

0 Kudos