Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TM134

3930x and ATT connection issue

I have 5 3930x devices. Yesterday all worked well via my ATT internet router and then later in the day all indicated they could not connect. Did all the standard rebooting and nothing. Did a factory reset on one and it still would not connect. The Rokus see the network and indicate the strength is excellent but after putting in the password correctly will not connect. Ideas?  My non Roku smart TVs are fine with Wi-Fi connection as are phones and laptops. Ideas?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
landline1
Binge Watcher

Re: 3930x and ATT connection issue

I have AT&T Fiber.  Last week, our Roku Express acted similarly to your devices.  It could see networks, but could not connect.  I tried our home network and an open network.  I rebooted the router a few times, the Roku more than that and tried a factory reset.  In the end, I gave up and sent it back for a new one because it is still under warranty.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

We are starting to see this same problem reported by a number of people with ATT as their internet suppliers  It sounds similar to a problem widely reported with Comcast/xFinity and Cox, but may be spreading to ATT as well

Your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router which affects some Roku models. If you receive this update it changes the router's wifi connection parameters from b/g/n to g/n.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from the g/n wifi that was set by the update back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's configuration controls you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Step-by-step post from @AvsGunnar for Comcast/Xfinity users:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
landline1
Binge Watcher

I looked at my AT&T Router settings.  It is indeed g/n, not b/g/n.  However, I couldn't see a way to manually change the settings.  This is Roku's problem, they should fix it.  I am not going to spend time calling AT&T to fix an unbroken router, especially for a discretionary $25 item.  I am awaiting my replacement Roku Express.  I hope it works.  Otherwise, I'll just stream to my computer monitor as I have for many years before I bought the Roku.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@landline1 wrote:

I looked at my AT&T Router settings.  It is indeed g/n, not b/g/n. 

That's the first confirmation I've seen that ATT is doing this too. Thanks.

However, I couldn't see a way to manually change the settings.  This is Roku's problem, they should fix it.  I am not going to spend time calling AT&T to fix an unbroken router, especially for a discretionary $25 item.  I am awaiting my replacement Roku Express.  I hope it works.  Otherwise, I'll just stream to my computer monitor as I have for many years before I bought the Roku.

It's a change made by ATT and other internet providers, or whoever they're getting their hardware from, not Roku.  Frankly I don't know if it's a faulty change to the router software, or if the fault lies in the Rokus in not being able to deal with it.  People have been pretty sketchy about reporting enough details to really pin it down.  Seems like it only affects b/g connections in the 2.4 GHz wifi band. 

It's your choice what, if anything, you want to do about it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
landline1
Binge Watcher

I don't know if my router settings changed because I never looked at them before the Roku stopped working.  Roku's fault, AT&T's fault.  Who cares?  It isn't our fault.

These devices should work regardless.  Other people with more devices than us (laptop, tablet, Roku) report that only Rokus are malfunctioning.

0 Kudos